HDR Module how to eliminate stars bloating

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
Startrek

HDR Module how to eliminate stars bloating

Post by Startrek »

After using Startools for 4 years ( V1.4 , V1.5 , V1.6 ) and just recently V1.7 I’ve always just put up with my stars bloating ( to varying degree ) when using the HDR module ( I generally use Optimise Soft or Hard ) even though an inverted star mask is in place to prevent the stars from being sampled by the Algorithm ( I assume )
I don’t normally use Reveal All, Brighten Darken , Equalize or Tame highlights as I find they don’t work for me that well ( I use Reveal DSO core sometimes which gives some images , particularly Star clusters and nebula good detail )
If I increase Strength to 1.5 to 2.0 the star bloating becomes really noticeable so I usually keep to default 1.2 to 1.5 which in effect is limiting this great Algorithm’s performance on my images due to bloated stars
Is there any way of avoiding Star bloat in HDR ( Optimise )

Pardon my lack of understanding of how this module is suppose to perform ( maybe HDR cannot avoid bloating stars ?? )

Await your advice

Thanks in advance
admin
Site Admin

Re: HDR Module how to eliminate stars bloating

Post by admin »

Though the HDR module does not provide star masking like, say, the Sharp module, it is always possible to protect them after the facts.
If you find you wish to protect the stars from some operation or module, you can simply launch the Layer module afterwards, go into the Mask editor, Auto, Stars, Do. And back in the Layer module, copy the Undo Buffer to the foreground layer. You can now layer your stars back in as you see fit (use Mask Fuzz for a smooth transition). You may wish to grow or shrink the mask depending on how many surrounding pixels you wish to use from a star.

Does that help?
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Startrek

Post by Startrek »

Ivo
Thanks
I’ll try your suggestion
Any plans to incorporate a star mask in HDR to retain the integrity of your stars some time in the future ( say version 1.8 if you ever release one )
This feature IMO would be an improvement
Thanks again
Martin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks Martin. I can take that under consideration (and yes, 1.8 is already in the works :thumbsup:).
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
happy-kat

Post by happy-kat »

that's an interesting use of the layer module, it may be useful elsewhere, I must try that