Fringe killer usage

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
mgutierrez

Fringe killer usage

Post by mgutierrez »

Hi all,

I'm trying to remove chromatic aberration from some stars. Fringe killer works nice but leaves a grayish background color where I apply the filter:

before:
Selection_077.png
Selection_077.png (47.57 KiB) Viewed 2805 times
after:
Selection_079.png
Selection_079.png (47.22 KiB) Viewed 2805 times
any tips?

m
admin
Site Admin

Re: Fringe killer usage

Post by admin »

The Finge Killer indeed leaves the luminance (detail) intact and only attacks the color.

A few different techniques;
  • You could try the Shrink module on those stars, with Color Taming increased.
  • If your blue channel is very poor, you could also decide not to use it for luminance at all; use the Compose module to create a synthetic luminance frame from just red and green (set blue exposure to 0).
  • You can also use the FilmDev module to throttle the blue channel's luminance contribution before using the Filter module.
Hope this helps!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
happy-kat

Post by happy-kat »

Another option is to select all the problematic stars and exclude them from the colour module so they stay as just luminance.
mgutierrez

Post by mgutierrez »

OMG, I don't know how could I miss my own post!!! shame on me!!! very sorry guys!!! thanks for your replies!
I've tried your workaround, but does not seem to work for me. Or maybe I don't know how to implement them. Using a mask is quite tricky for me. There are many stars that suffer from this aberration, but not all of them. Setting a proper mask is quite difficult.
Reducing blue channel's luminance does not show the expected outcome. I have to investigate and test a bit more.

Thanks again and very sorry for my late response :roll:

m