pale/missing colours in dark areas

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
admin
Site Admin

Re: pale/missing colours in dark areas

Post by admin »

decay wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:50 pm But I am still not completely convinced that the colour balancing is the main problem. With the help of your example processing I now managed to get a similar result like yours. Now I will check step by step what makes the difference. I'm quite curious about that and I will report back as soon as I figured out
It may also simply be the case that your screen is not very well calibrated? Getting (or borrowing) a calibration tool like the fairly affordable Color Munki can do wonders.

With this dataset as-is, keeping the default color balance that the Color module comes up with, shows good color constancy on my calibrated screens, from the brighter pink hydrogen-dominant areas to the darker hydrogen-dominant areas. It does so in both Color Constancy and Legacy modes, with the only tweak being the Dark Saturation set to Full.
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
decay

Re: pale/missing colours in dark areas

Post by decay »

admin wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:05 am
It may also simply be the case that your screen is not very well calibrated? Getting (or borrowing) a calibration tool like the fairly affordable Color Munki can do wonders.
Thanks Ivo, yes, I guess such a tool makes sense when dealing with AP. I probaly will get one in a future - hopefully - not to far away.