Iko observatory latest rgb dataset

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
Burly

Iko observatory latest rgb dataset

Post by Burly »

Ivo on the latest iko observatory (sgl) latest rgb data set of the iris nebula which I’m sure you have probably seen
There seems to be green anomalies in the bottom left of image , now I cropped 30 pixels and a bit more which seems to rid the purple anomaly top left but I can’t seem to rid the green especially around the bright star satisfactorily even increasing the reduce green channel if I mask an area and cap green it looks a bit too yellow how would you best tackle this or do I need to crop more out ? .

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/3756 ... mpetition/
happy-kat

Re: Iko observatory latest rgb dataset

Post by happy-kat »

I had noticed the slight green tinge to that star bottom left as well, it was subtle but there.
I decided it might have been some flare on the lens and hoped it wasn't noticeable, be interesting to read what the follow up is.
This data though was lovely to use my favourite to process.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It seems to be some sort secondary reflection - it's definitely a "feature" of the dataset.
If you really must remove it, the module of choice would be the Filter module (with a mask).
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Burly

Post by Burly »

Thanks Ivo
happy-kat

Post by happy-kat »

I enjoyed processing this data and it is interesting to see other processes
Russ.Carpenter

Post by Russ.Carpenter »

Thanks to happy-kat's post I discovered the IKO Observatory project. It seems like a noble project and I posted my own StarTools version of the DSO.
Carles

Post by Carles »

I've also been participating in the processing contest for a while,
I find it challenging, and also a good way to test one's StarTools skills with awesome data! (indeed much better than the one I can get with my own gear.. ) and also see how other people might do it or wha vision they have.

Also is interesting how a single dataset can have so many different representations or versions...

Never won the contest, but still is fun haha (I'm "Neko " there ) although I'm pretty proud of my version of this
particular Iris Nebula dataset :D

Carles.