Narrowbanding with an osc

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
mgutierrez

Narrowbanding with an osc

Post by mgutierrez »

Hi all,

Sorry if I'm not posting in the correct sub-forum.

I've been thinking for a couple of months about upgrading my dslr and jump to a dedicated camera. First doubt is the eternal question about choosing mono or color cam. Cost and available imaging time are the main cons to choose a mono one, but for sure it's an interesting choice I've not discarded yet.
In any case, I like the zwo asi 294 pro (or the qhy equivalent) both mono and color models. Mono version is (for me) quite expensive and now I have a good opportunity in the second hand market to buy the color version (cannot find the mono in second hand market). So I'm quite tempted to buy it. Also I have a good opportunity to buy a set of narrowband filters and a wheel. Well, we know this is not the perfect marriage. But, facing the probably future, I would like to start playing with narrowband and filter wheels, at the same time I don't spend too much money and time with a mono cam.

I've been reading and shooting narrowband (not double or triple filters like l-enhance for example, but hso filters) is not so bad with osc cams.

Ok, sorry for this long introduction! I've been thinking about it, but I'm not sure how should be the worfklow to compose an image shooting, for example, with the H filter or even HSO with an osc cam (in particular, the asi 294mc pro), with Startools.

I use dss (or astap, siril) to stack, but I'm not sure how should I stack the images (shooting one or multiple filters) and process them with startools.
Edit: what about, for example, with H filter, stack the images with dss without debayering? Should I obtain my H alfa channel ready to import in startools?

Any experiences on this?

Thanks!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Narrowbanding with an osc

Post by admin »

Hi,

If narrowband is of interest at all, I would highly recommend waiting for a mono CCD.

It is by far the most flexible option and the most "future proof" one. That is, of course, unless you put a bigger value on the convenience/capability of an OSC to acquire 3 bands at the same time. This is the most important choice. And it totally depends on your situation and preferences.

The problem is, as you know, that the Bayer filter on an OSC will drastically cut the amount of signal you collect in the red channel (which only covers 1/4th of your sensor) vs the equivalent mono camera.

Narrowband can certainly be done with an OSC, but the signal you collect will be not as strong.
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
mgutierrez

Re: Narrowbanding with an osc

Post by mgutierrez »

Thanks for the reply, Ivo. Yes, I agree, but nowadays cannot afford a new-brand mono cam and all the components. I have to re-think it again. Thanks!