Which de-noise module to use

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
jhart

Which de-noise module to use

Post by jhart »

Hi,

Are there any particular guidelines for using Flux vs Super Structure Isolate vs Denoise module (or even vs binning) for removing background noise in images?

Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Re: Which de-noise module to use

Post by admin »

Hi,

Binning is recommended at all times if your dataset is oversampled.
Denoise (accessed by switching of Tracking) is the mother of all noise reduction routines. If you want to delve deeper into noise reduction, getting to know the Denoise module is your best bang-for-buck in terms of time investment.
The Super Structure module denoises as a side effect of some of its presets/settings (but it is not its main purpose).
The Fractal Flux module can be used as a last resort, but it is not the recommended method of noise reduction.

I hope this helps!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
jhart

Post by jhart »

Hi Ivo,

Thanks for that advice.
A question I have with my use of the various modules is that sometimes when I turn off tracking for the Denoise module, there is little or no background noise left in the image for that module to work on. Would that indicate that I am being too aggressive in using Super Structure Isolate, or maybe the second AutoDev, or maybe the level of binning, or one of the other modules? I have not been using Fractal Flux. BTW I doubt the issue could be that my data are too good since the recent nights here have not been good at all and I am in a Bortle 8-9 zone.

Thanks again,
Jeff
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jhart wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:40 pm A question I have with my use of the various modules is that sometimes when I turn off tracking for the Denoise module, there is little or no background noise left in the image for that module to work on. Would that indicate that I am being too aggressive in using Super Structure Isolate, or maybe the second AutoDev, or maybe the level of binning, or one of the other modules?
If you are otherwise happy with the final image, then not having to noise reduce (much) is a good thing!

In the last couple of versions of StarTools, the algorithms have been getting more and more support from the signal evolution Tracking engine when processing your signal. As a result, they have been getting better and better at avoiding making noise grain worse. This pervasive noise awareness is the single most important thing that sets StarTools apart from any other application.

So, effectively, noise should not get materially worse after your second AutoDev. The one module that may make noise grain worse is the deconvolution module - if pushed. Most other modules will appear to just effortlessly work around any existing noise.
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
jhart

Post by jhart »

Thanks Ivo. :thumbsup: