Combining RGB with Duoband for natural star colour

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
Startrek

Re: Combining RGB with Duoband for natural star colour

Post by Startrek »

I’ve had better OSC narrowband results ( L Extreme) just using the Bi colour preset in the colour module without going through the process of using Compose where you load your data sets in RGB channels and select the OSC DSLR Bi Colour.....preset
The only feature that you don’t have by doing it this way is the various matrix options ( you only have the 4 preset options at the top , one being Bi Colour which I use
My image of M16 above shows an example of Bi Colour without using Compose
Mike in Rancho

Post by Mike in Rancho »

Stefan B wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:18 am
(snip)

@thewormofautumn: Together with Carles I recently discussed a bit of RGB/NB combination here, if you're interested:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2242

Best regards
Stefan
Thanks for that! :thumbsup:

I realized my error - I was making the star mask on the RGB stars layer instead of the NB layer. Much better this way of course, how did I not realize that?

I'm still needing to jack the percentage up pretty high and use a slight fuzz, and for sure some real customized mask work after starting it on the NB layer - I used autostars with a slight parameter change. It still needed a little work after that to help the blend from being too harsh, so after keeping the color inheritance, I went right back into layer with the same mask and added a couple ticks to the kernel radius blur.
Stefan B

Post by Stefan B »

Startrek wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:16 pm I’ve had better OSC narrowband results ( L Extreme) just using the Bi colour preset in the colour module without going through the process of using Compose where you load your data sets in RGB channels and select the OSC DSLR Bi Colour.....preset
That might well be. Probably the differences aren't that big, maybe there aren't any in terms of coloring. If I understand the options in compose correctly, only luminance is affected and chrominance is exclusively adressed in the color module independently of the previous actions (compose vs open etc).

But there's still no option to get RGB stars into the image without layering an NB and a seperate broadband image. Or do I miss something?

Best regards
Stefan
Stefan B

Post by Stefan B »

Mike in Rancho wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:50 pm Thanks for that! :thumbsup:
Hi Mike,

Glad you found something useful in the linked discussion! :)

Best regards
Stefan