Iris Nebula- trouble processing

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
el_hop87

Iris Nebula- trouble processing

Post by el_hop87 »

Hello

I am trying to process this image of the Iris Nebula- just under 3 hours of 1 min frames, D800, Skywatcher 72ED + AZ GTI and not having much luck!

The nebula just seems to come up as a light spec and I can't get any of the blue you associate with this object.

The link to the file after stacking in DSS is on wetransfer in case anyone can advise: https://we.tl/t-4N33q5egxr

Many thanks

Elly
Mike in Rancho

Re: Iris Nebula- trouble processing

Post by Mike in Rancho »

That is a particularly large file! :shock:

Did you use ST-recommended stacking parameters in DSS? For sure not intersection mode, but maybe you had a reason. Check those out, might help some.

How about calibration frames? Even if you don't use darks, you'll for sure need flats and bias. DSS will know how to make that calibration work, I do it on most images.

After big crops and a 25% bin, evening out the field took the uncalibrated preset in Wipe and aggressiveness still bumped up to 85% or so. Of course, that may very well be erasing out much of what you hoped to capture. Proper calibration will help you avoid that.

You were on target though! :D

Stars are a bit wonky, probably due to the Az mount. But let us know what the specifics were as to your calibration and stacking settings, and maybe we can help you find something or at least get you pointed right for your next acquisition.