Loading OSC images from MultiBand Filters?:

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
whixson

Loading OSC images from MultiBand Filters?:

Post by whixson »

I'm using an L-Extreme filter with a QHY 268MC OSC Camera. I'm stacking and calibrating in AstroPixelProcessor to get the master. How do you load it in the ST Compose manual? Or do I need to separate into Ha and O3 masters during the Integrationm process?

Waayne
Mike in Rancho

Re: Loading OSC images from MultiBand Filters?:

Post by Mike in Rancho »

Hi Wayne,

What I would do is, in Compose, load your single finished stack into R, G, and B. Same file three times. Then in the drop down menu above the files, select bicolor from OSC/DSLR. The actual name is longer, but that's the one to use as it will take advantage of your 2xG pixels in the Bayer array, and blend the G and B into one OIII (GB). This also opens up the bicolor matrices once you get to the Color module (otherwise it will just be lens things I believe).

This method is basically ST's built-in separation of the channels as you describe. ST does all the work and you don't have to.

Of course for other purposes ST can also do that channel separation, and combining, manually if ever so needed, and is described in the unofficial user manual as well as the user notes section here in the forums.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Loading OSC images from MultiBand Filters?:

Post by admin »

Hi Wayne,

In the Compose module, just load the same stack three times; once as red, once as green, once as blue.
Then set "Luminance, Color" to "L + Synthetic L From R(2xG)B, R(RGB)(GB) (Bi-Color from OSC/DSLR)".
The latter is assuming you wish to process the dataset as bi-color, which would indeed make a lot of sense with the L-eXtreme filter.

Now process as normal, until you hit the Color module. There you can start off with the Bi-Color preset, and try different Matrix options to taste.
Use the red slider to reduce or increase the Ha coloring versus O-III (the latter is controlled by the blue or green sliders).

Hope that helps!

EDIT: What Mike says (we posted at the same time :thumbsup:)
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast