Why is Filmdev recommended when using the Layers module

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
Topographic

Why is Filmdev recommended when using the Layers module

Post by Topographic »

Hi

I was reading the Layers user notes and Guy recommends using filmdev(dev) rather than autodev when using the results in the Layers module. Is this still the case and if so what is the logic behind the recommendation.

thanks

David
hixx

Re: Why is Filmdev recommended when using the Layers module

Post by hixx »

Hi David,
Guy's recommendation was pertaining a special technique only, for combining pictures of different exposure lenghts. I think the reason is to employ a standardized global stretch to all source images.Clearly this is much easier when manually setting values rather than have Autodev caculate the from (different) source images
cheers,
jochen
happy-kat

Post by happy-kat »

I use filmdev if building a mosaic so that the stretch across different panes is the same, otherwise for single images even with layers I use autodev
Topographic

Post by Topographic »

Thanks for that,

I am using Layers for 40s and 10s stacks on M42. The images were collected on a vertical session, i.e 40-10-40-10 dither 40-10 etc. I will have a play. With this data collection method I stacked as multisession in Sirillic, without intermediate stacking and used the merged stacks and got good results. Now to try the the two separate stacks

cheers

David
Guy

Post by Guy »

Jochen is right. The preference for FilmDev was related to this specific technique.
This technique was taken from a video: StarTools: M42 H-alpha High Dynamic Range composite.

This uses StarTools version 1.3.200RC so is very old - but the approach still works.
In those days there were no X/Y sliders in AutoDev so the only way of getting easily repeatable results was using FilmDev (or Develop as it was known then).

Having said that, I think FilmDev is still the preferred choice for this specific technique.

Guy
ionia23

Post by ionia23 »

I find using FilmDev makes it a bit easier to control the stretch post-wipe. AutoDev seems to over or understretch. I rarely get results I'm comfortable pushing forward with.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

ionia23 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:42 am I find using FilmDev makes it a bit easier to control the stretch post-wipe. AutoDev seems to over or understretch. I rarely get results I'm comfortable pushing forward with.
Being able to use AutoDev effectively is rather important to be able to use StarTools effectively.
Have you read the documentation? If so, do let us know where things go wrong.
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast