Horsehead Help-Processing Advice

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
Mike in Rancho

Re: Horsehead Help-Processing Advice

Post by Mike in Rancho »

Hi Matt,

Well, it depends what you mean by using/avoiding filters, and I suppose I should add some clarification now, after reading your reply. :)

My own personal take is to avoid using any filters for broadband objects, despite my LP-riddled skies. The key to overcoming LP is simply more integration, without using an "LP filter" that can block off parts of the broadband spectrum, and make color balancing difficult (or impossible). That said, there are some who use them, or some who use what might be called a "mild" LP filter that just reduces transmission in certain wavelengths, rather than fully blocks it. But I don't have or use any LP filter at all, for broadband targets.

I do use filters for emission targets often. For my DSLR right now, that is an L-eNhance. I also just started using a single wavelength narrowband SII filter, even with DSLR (being the heathen that I am ;) ).

A UV-IR cut filter, however, is another issue. Those are not LP filters, really. Instead, they block the UV and IR extremes of the spectrum. This is in fact something you want to have, if your camera doesn't have this built in. Otherwise you can end up with not only color balance problems, but bloating (particularly stars) and potentially focus issues, due to the wavelengths involved. For AP,, absent special circumstances, we are pretty much interested in the 400 to 700nm wavelengths, regardless of whether one is doing broadband or narrowband.

My full spectrum modded D5300 requires a UV-IR cut filter, otherwise I will be capturing some sub-400nm UV, and some past-700nm IR. For this, I picked up a relatively cheap SVBony 2" UV-IR cut. There are many options and manufacturers of these, probably all of varying quality and anti-reflective coatings. But UV-IR cuts are generally inexpensive regardless. They are also often the exact same thing as an L (Luminance) filter. But you can check the specs and graphs for that.

Your 294MC Pro does not have a built in UV-IR cut, I believe, only AR coatings on the protective glass. As such, absent a UV-IR cut filter, you will be capturing some amount of UV and IR outside of 400-700nm. You do not want that. I am unsure of the UV and IR transmissivity and responsiveness compared to my full spectrum DSLR, but it is the same general concept.

As to other filters, such as nebula/emission filters, many of them have UV-IR cut included by their nature. But not all, so you do have to check. The L-eNhance, which I use, passes Ha in the red, and OIII+Hb in the green and blue, blocking everything else, including UV-IR.

Now the next issue. In addition to Carles tips, note that the 294MC is, as noted, finicky. Generally speaking, for proper calibration, long exposure flats (maybe 2-3 seconds or more) and matching dark flats, rather than using bias, are recommended. That said, I have seen several datasets where calibration seemed to work okay even when the dark flats were taken outside the recommended exposures. There's really no way to tell other than analyzing the linear histogram of the raw FITS to see what was captured and if the calibration will work right.

This is probably one of the more in-depth descriptions of 294MC calibration on CN, done in the expert forum. So it can get pretty dense. But you can just skim it and jump to the summaries and conclusions, if so interested. https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/6363 ... -opinions/

I do not know if ZWO has made any firmware or driver changes that address the peculiar exposure vs ADU levels oddities of the 294s.

Anyway, might be something worth trying though and seeing how your rig responds, or at least checking all your histograms to make sure nothing seems like it might be in the wrong place, and could lead to miscalibration.

Hope all of that is helpful!
Matt S

Post by Matt S »

Carles and Mike
Again, a huge thank you for your insights over the last couple of days. I’m sincerely grateful for these, especially given that StarTools does not enjoy such a large following compared to other AP processing software (a crime!).
Since we’ve spoken, I have:
1. Successfully installed v1.8; :thumbsup:
2. Realised that I have mistakenly turned off RGB channel align in DSS!; :doh:
3. Learned that UV/IR cut filters can be used with StarTools; :doh:
4. In less than 10mins created a better image of the Horsehead, using your tips; :obscene-drinkingcheers: and
5. Questioned my previously held truths wrt creating my Flat frames! :think:
Quite a transfer of knowledge (well, Ill not get too ahead of myself)!
Most importantly, after 5 weeks or so of fighting a poor firmware ‘upgrade’ to my ASIAIR Pro (resolved by reverting to an older version), and wanting to dump my gear in the brook at the foot of my garden, my enthusiasm has been reignited.
That’s got to be worth a few dark nights!
When I’ve got a decent internet signal, I’ll post an example Flat frame-perhaps you could critique it?
Right, off to create a masterpiece for a magazine.
Stay safe and clear skies
Matt
Mike in Rancho

Post by Mike in Rancho »

Good to hear all that, Matt! :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Including that you have a garden and a brook. I don't have a brook. :(

But...if you make a flat frame, best best for analysis (though I am no 294 expert!) would be an upload to Drive or similar of an actual raw flat frame. Also a light frame (so we can cross-reference the vignetting pattern after stretching them), and a dark and dark-flat to perhaps run a quickie calibration.

I'm trying to think off the top of my head if we have other 294-using members here. We must, they are fairly popular cameras. :think: