Sharp Edge to halos left after Fringe killer

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
Mike in Rancho

Re: Sharp Edge to halos left after Fringe killer

Post by Mike in Rancho »

Hi Lee,

Cool, just saw you posted some new versions, so I will check those out! :D

At least to get a good idea of the appearance that you are aiming for too.

I did a quick run on your Rosette this morning but wasn't able to log in to upload until now. The stars are a bit noticeable, but really I don't think they are that bad. This could possibly use one or two clicks of fringe killer on the blue if one really doesn't like it. But, I think the star halos should have a little color.

I did nothing special here, really. No shrink, no fringe killer, no layer, no repair, no synth, no entropy, etc. Basic ST workflow. Decent amount of global saturation, but I like showing off the red clouds here.

I'll probably try again though with a real mission to minimize the star profiles, if possible, and perhaps a more cropped in rendition as well.

EDIT: it would help if I loaded the right file. :lol:

Astroneb Rosette ST8 1A.jpg
Astroneb Rosette ST8 1A.jpg (465.51 KiB) Viewed 2124 times
AstroNebulee

Post by AstroNebulee »

Hi Mike
Thank you.
You have created a lovely image there. That is the kind of smoothing of the edges I'm after for the stars, though like you said I'd click fringe killer a couple of times (just my taste) but I can see what you mean about having a little colour in them. The extra saturation on the nebula does work and still keeping the central part the more yellowy colour.

It's great for just being a basic ST process with no shrink, repair, synth, entropy and such. I would go for less stars in my final image just to show of the nebula.

Though in my original after a colour were horribly blue/purple.
Looking forward to seeing what you can create once your on your real mission. Could you post the log file when you do please.
Thank you again.

Lee
Carles

Post by Carles »

Hi Lee,

I had a go, too.
Not sure if I could get the colours right for the stars, and the problem is that after Filter, if I go back to Colour to tweak the nebula or sth, it get the effect back.. so left the colour this way although too yellowy for me, tweaking colour balance in photoshop or lightroom or similar would fix that I guess, but there's quite good amount of data there : )

image was binned to 50% before saving as Jpg to reduce size to post it.

Regards

Carles.
Rosette Lee R2 bin.jpg
Rosette Lee R2 bin.jpg (638.49 KiB) Viewed 2084 times
AstroNebulee

Post by AstroNebulee »

Hi Carles
That is a really nice process there. You have gotten so much more out of it than me! I like it the stars have a nice soft edge but still pinpoint cores. The colour of the nebula is excellent, I struggle to get the difference from red to yellow core. I shall reprocess it again with a few tips, hints and using Startools with the manual by my side.
Yep I could change the colour balance in photoshop.
To change the blue purple fringing it may be worth going into fringe killer again.
Thank you again.
Cheers
Lee
Carles

Post by Carles »

Hi Lee,

glad you like my rendition : )
I struggle to get the difference from red to yellow core
maybe you could try playing with colour bias in Color module. try reducing red

this is from the log, module step

Code: Select all

--- Color
Parameter [Bias Slider Mode] set to [Sliders Reduce Color Bias]
Parameter [Style] set to [Artistic, Not Detail Aware]
Parameter [LRGB Method Emulation] set to [RGB Ratio, CIELab Luminance Retention]
Parameter [Matrix] set to [Identity (OFF)]
Parameter [Dark Saturation] set to [Full]
Parameter [Bright Saturation] set to [Full]
Parameter [Saturation Amount] set to [250 %]
Parameter [Blue Bias Reduce] set to [1.33]
Parameter [Green Bias Reduce] set to [1.73]
Parameter [Red Bias Reduce] set to [1.76]
Parameter [Mask Fuzz] set to [1.0 pixels]
Parameter [Cap Green] set to [100 %]
Parameter [Highlight Repair] set to [10 pixels]
maybe it helps

I used "Fringe Killer" in Filter module,selecting a few stars. if the Mask doesn't get the whole star
you can try using Circle mask mode and draw them yourself, then use the Fring Killer on the masked
stars. increase mask fuzz for transition too

hope it helps : )

the unofficial manual is a great tool with many tips : )

Regards

Carles
AstroNebulee

Post by AstroNebulee »

Hi Carles
Thank you for posting part of your log file for me, I'll have another reprocess at it, now the clouds have descended again here.
Clear skies

Lee