Can AutoDev be throttled back?

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
jhart

Can AutoDev be throttled back?

Post by jhart »

Hi,

It seems that with many of my data sets AutoDev over-stretches objects; e.g, galaxies and nebulae. In such cases I have to use FilmDev for what appears to be a lesser and better stretch. I have fiddled with the AutoDev parameters but can't seem to make it work so as not to over-stretch things for some of my data sets. Is there a solution to throttle back the AutoDev stretch in such cases?

Thanks,
Jeff
Stefan B

Re: Can AutoDev be throttled back?

Post by Stefan B »

Hi Jeff,

have you tried different ROIs, e.g. only containing the brighter parts of the object? This should lead to less aggressive stretch.

Regards
Stefan
jhart

Post by jhart »

Hi Stefan,

Doing a minimal ROI is a great suggestion. I think that can help a lot with controlling the aggressiveness of the stretch in the important areas. Thanks.

From a preliminary effort with some of my M51 data, it seems to be that with that small ROI just around the galaxy core(s), it works not to worry about a decently dark background with ROI and the Ignore Fine Detail settings. Instead, it is better to adjust Detector Gamma and Shadow Linearity (and maybe Outside ROI Influence some) to achieve a background sufficiently dark for later modules to deal with. The brighter parts of the galaxy seem to look a lot better.

Thanks again,
Jeff
Stefan B

Post by Stefan B »

Hi Jeff,

if you want to have a darker background you are right. Other options like 'Ignore fine detail', reducing 'Outside ROI influence', etc. might be more suitable than a different ROI. Also reducing 'Shadow dynamic range allocation' in Contrast or using the 'Isolate' preset in the SuperStructure module might prove useful.

Regards
Stefan
ionia23

Post by ionia23 »

Dont underestimate playing with the values for fine detail cutoff. Makes a huge difference. Take your time playing with different ROI's and the outside ROI influence settings.