Incompatible TIF files

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
Scottk

Incompatible TIF files

Post by Scottk »

I have experienced some instances when ST will not accept TIFs, even after I confirmed that they are 16 bit uncompressed. IS there some other criteria that needs to be met?
Scott K
admin
Site Admin

Re: Incompatible TIF files

Post by admin »

Hi,

IBM PC byte order is also a requirement.
If I may ask, what is the reason why you are importing TIFFs rather than FITS datasets?
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Scottk

Post by Scottk »

I always use FITS for the tracked processing, but sometimes I like to use the tools in the layer module on images that have already been processed. I may have done some adjustments with other software, and I find that some of the Startools blending operations are very useful. Power of Inverse for example is somethinng I can't find in any other software.
Scott K
Mike in Rancho

Post by Mike in Rancho »

Have you tried the picture open/viewer in DSS as a converter? Save as embedded, of course. ST should be able to open anything DSS can write out, at least as long as the TIFF option has been changed to uncompressed rather than zipped. Or save it as FITS.

ASTAP may be able to open and convert files to a more ST-friendly format as well.
Scottk

Post by Scottk »

Good ideas. I'll give that a try. Thanks.
Scott K
Scottk

Post by Scottk »

I just tried running the file through DSS first. Worked like a charm. Thanks again!
Scott K