mosaics

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
Rkonrad

mosaics

Post by Rkonrad »

Hi,

I'm in the process of taking some images for the purpose of a mosaic (2x4). It would be my first try. Does anyone have any thoughts? I'm using Linux.
Would I stitch the frames together processed or unprocessed? With the former, I'm assuming the processing steps would need to be identical as the background lightness would need to be identical with each of the other frames. With the latter, the summed file would likely tax even the faster computers (!). I would likely bin them all quite a bit. I'm favouring the latter if this is possible.

Cheers! Richard
Rkonrad

Re: mosaics

Post by Rkonrad »

Just to add: I've calculated the mosaic coordinates from telescopius and I've set it with a 5% overlap. Is that enough? Default is 10%.

Richard
Stefan B

Re: mosaics

Post by Stefan B »

Hi Richard,

I've only done one mosaic so far. You can see the result here:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2329

There's also been a little discussion on how to do this kind of stuff. I used ASTAP in order to stitch the linear panels. But to get a decent result I had to bin, crop and wipe the individual panels (without redoing the global stretch in order to get wiped, but linear data) before stitching.

Alternatively, I heared a lot of good things about the mosaic capabilities of APP. Which stacker do you use usually?

Or you can try stitching processed frames (e.g. with ICE). Never tried that but I guess you have to be very consistent in your processing across the panels to get a nice result.
Rkonrad wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:21 pm I've calculated the mosaic coordinates from telescopius and I've set it with a 5% overlap. Is that enough? Default is 10%.
That's pretty sure not enough. I used at least 20%, perhaps even 25%. 20% is the default in NINA's framing/mosaic tool. 20% is also the minimum recommendation for panoramas in landscape photography as far as I know.

Good luck! I'd love to see the results!

Regards
Stefan