OSC+NB with a small reflection region within a larger Ha region

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
dx_ron

OSC+NB with a small reflection region within a larger Ha region

Post by dx_ron »

I probably shouldn't be asking for advice when I have only 2 hours of noisy OSC and 2 hours of noisy duoband, but here I am anyway :)

The nebula in question is IC 405 (the Flaming Star in Auriga). Using Open with just the OSC data I get the expected (noisy) colors:
OSC-only_1st.jpg
OSC-only_1st.jpg (673.51 KiB) Viewed 2198 times
If I use Compose to include the duoband data, the star colors get overwhelmed by the duoband version:
OSC+NBaccent.jpg
OSC+NBaccent.jpg (448.05 KiB) Viewed 2198 times
Am I wrong to expect no color channel input from the NB file until I reach the NB Accents module?

In general, I'm not sure how to best handle this nebula once I have collected a more reasonable amount of time. The NB data should be the bulk of the image. Without the small embedded reflection nebula I would use just a star mask to layer in the OSC colors. I worry that trying to include the reflection bit in the Layers mask will look obviously weird, though I would try that with more OSC data.

By the way, a likely bug: after working in Compose with a NB Accent file, using Open to reload only the OSC leaves Wipe still expecting a NB layer, with weird 'ghost' NB data:
OSC-only_after-compose.jpg
OSC-only_after-compose.jpg (63.07 KiB) Viewed 2198 times

Easy enough to work around by closing the program before reloading the OSC data, but probably not the intended behavior.
admin
Site Admin

Re: OSC+NB with a small reflection region within a larger Ha region

Post by admin »

dx_ron wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:18 pm Am I wrong to expect no color channel input from the NB file until I reach the NB Accents module?
No, you're right. NB accents do not come into play until you enter the NBAccent module.

The image that has the narrowband data added doesn't appear to be much (any?) different to the full-color image in terms of luminance/detail. I would have expected at least some extra Ha to have become visible. What settings did you use?
By the way, a likely bug: after working in Compose with a NB Accent file, using Open to reload only the OSC leaves Wipe still expecting a NB layer, with weird 'ghost' NB data:
OSC-only_after-compose.jpg

Easy enough to work around by closing the program before reloading the OSC data, but probably not the intended behavior.
Bug confirmed! Thank you!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
dx_ron

Post by dx_ron »

admin wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:46 pm
No, you're right. NB accents do not come into play until you enter the NBAccent module.

The image that has the narrowband data added doesn't appear to be much (any?) different to the full-color image in terms of luminance/detail. I would have expected at least some extra Ha to have become visible. What settings did you use?
Sorry, I was not completely clear with the workflow:

open the OSC image - either with Open (1st image above) or in Compose as RG&B (2nd image above)
(2nd image only) open the duoband image in NB Accents
bin
crop
wipe
color

That's it.

Here is the OSC in Wipe:
OSC+nb_lum.jpg
OSC+nb_lum.jpg (617.76 KiB) Viewed 2181 times
And the duoband in Wipe:
OSC+nb_nb.jpg
OSC+nb_nb.jpg (739.5 KiB) Viewed 2181 times
So yes, there is quite a lot more Ha in the duoband file.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hmmmm... NBAccent should have significantly enhanced the Ha and kept star color as well.

After importing the OSC data RGB and the Duoband data as NB accents in the Compose module, and then doing your bin/crop/wipe/color workflow, can you show a screenshot of your best effort in NBAccent (first screen/setup and second screen)?

Alternatively, would you be able to share the two datasets?

Thank you!
Ivo Jager
dx_ron

Post by dx_ron »

I did not go all the way through to the NB Accents module once I saw the messed-up colors. Tonight I will triple-check that I did not simply screw up and load the wrong file as the OSC (I double-checked before posting, but me messing something up twice in a row is common enough...)

If it is real, I will work on clearing enough space in my dropbox for 2 312mb files.
dx_ron

Post by dx_ron »

OK - I'm a dummy. (try to look at least a little bit surprised)

Right files, but I spaced out and set the color type to bicolor from OSC/dslr.

Here's the end result with doing it right:
IC_405_OSC+AlpT_accents.jpg
IC_405_OSC+AlpT_accents.jpg (498.12 KiB) Viewed 2144 times
Noisy as heck, of course, with only 2 hours of OSC + 105 minutes of duoband. So I hit it hard with the "isolate" stick. But at least I know now that the NB accents don't turn the blue reflection part red. Hopefully the weather will allow me the opportunity to collect a non-trivial amount of duoband to make a more respectable image.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes! Now we're talking! :thumbsup:
Ivo Jager