Settings in the compose module v 1,8

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
decay

Re: Settings in the compose module v 1,8

Post by decay »

Hi Freddy,
fmeireso wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:41 am I think in this case i really don't think you need to put the L-enhance stack in de L channel.
Yes, that might be the case with this object. My intention was to provide RGB and NB (Ha) datasets for you in order to evaluate if your 'Ha as L' workflow works (well) if both datasets originate from a modded DSLR (and therefore RGB data contains a decent amount of Ha). Of course, maybe this object is not suited very well, but I hoped at least well enough.
fmeireso wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:41 am What i did in the past at times , was taking Ha mono , put that in the L-channel and use my L-enhance on my color unmodded OSC. Many say that duoband filter is not ment to put on a unmodded DSLr but actually i got descent results on some bright objects.
OK, that seems to be yet another workflow as that one you described here before. And it might be that it is easier to get a an expected (or more convenient) colouring with douband data in this case, depending on the object (I think Mike wrote this already).
fmeireso wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:41 am The one below is even taken with the L-enhance on my unmodded DSLR nothing else, a bright object. Not the best picture but the point is that it comes out alot better then just taking a shot without the filter.
I really like this image, Freddy! And of course your unmodded DSLR is able to capture red colour, but this is not a proof for that your 'Ha as L' workflow will work fine with RGB data from this camera, beeing combined with Ha data from your mono camera. There is for sure a mismatch which might lead to the recurring problems with colouring that you encounter (please have a look at Mike's last post as well).

And I'm not sure that this approach works fine even having both datasets from modded cameras (or OSC astro cams). If you have a look at my both M1 images you will notice that the visual spectum M1 seems to be somewhat 'smaller' then the duoband version. And of course, this is because it is possible to get 'deeper' images having the duoband filter eliminating the LP. So there are areas visible in the duoband version that aren't visible in the RGB version. But what happens now if you try to colourise these areas in the douband image and there is no corresponding colour data within your RBG dataset? :confusion-shrug: And I'm afraid, that will be the case most times ... ?! :cry: I dunno, Freddy ... :confusion-shrug:

Best regards, Dietmar.