Band Balance in NB Accent module

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
jlh

Band Balance in NB Accent module

Post by jlh »

Hi Ivo and others,

In the NB Accent module in ST1.9 there is a Band Balance parameter which says it balances the application of two narrowband signals. Is that option active? I have tried to load two narrowbands (Ha and OIII) in various ways but that parameter is always disabled.

I think it would be cool to have two available narrowband data sets to use/balance in the NB Accent module.

Thanks,
Jeff
Mike in Rancho

Re: Band Balance in NB Accent module

Post by Mike in Rancho »

Hi Jeff,

At the moment NBA only accepts one file. I don't know if there's any thoughts to augmenting that. Think if we could though -- three slots would allow independent including of S, H, and O onto RGB/LRGB, or even permit processing of 6-filter JWST files! :D We would need fully variable color mapping though in both Color and NBA.

But I digress. At the moment NBA only contemplates one file, and only red/Balmer purple, or cyan/teal, or in the case of an OSC duoband file, both (it automatically extracts from R, and GB). Therefore, in the case of mono Ha and OIII files, you have to create a "duboand" RGB file out of them. Of course this is even better than OSC duoband, as there is no Bayer contamination.

You can do this composition in ST (I think you have to composite as RGB, RGB) of your Ha and OIII into R, and G+B and then save out the linear file. Probably better would be to use your stacker if so capable, and save out the 32-bit linear RGB combination. I'm sure PI could do it, but I would likely use Siril myself just because it is so easy with the RGB compositing.

Then just load that "true dual narrowband" file into the NBA slot, and choose the duoband option.