Forum image posting requirments

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
AndyBooth

Forum image posting requirments

Post by AndyBooth »

In the recent M106 discussion, I had real trouble posting my pics due to ‘file too big’ messages, even though only 2408x???? And in jpg.
Can someone please tell me the constraints on direct image inclusion (rather than a link) on this forum?
Dimensions, format (any preference?), bit depth, overall image size (kb) etc?
Thanks.
decay

Re: Forum image posting requirments

Post by decay »

Hi Andy, I guess JPEG is just fine. And I think there are no limits regarding the pixel dimensions. File size is limited to about 500 kB. Maybe 600 or 700, I'm not sure. So probably you have to save your images with reduced JPEG quality. Does your software offer this feature?

Best regards, Dietmar.
AndyBooth

Post by AndyBooth »

That’ll be it mate, i know my usual 2408x???? Can be in the range 400kb to 800kb,
So i’ll copy them to 500kb in future.
Thanks for that.
Mike in Rancho

Post by Mike in Rancho »

Hey Andy,

I don't think I've had ST forums give me an error before, other than I think more than 3 pics in a single post. :think:

Somewhere in these forums Ivo once mentioned that going over 500 was fine, though it was just by a little. Even so, I've inserted images that were up in the 600's IIRC, without trouble.

Resolution dimensions up around 2400 may be an issue was well, either absolute or due to bigger images necessarily needing more file size.

Two things I do. One is using Gimp for final downscaling and jpg conversion. Meaning I still have my finished TIFF out of ST, at whatever bin I did or didn't use during processing. Then I create jpgs separately for internet posting. I have found that using Gimp for downscaling and conversion rather than using ST to (after-the-fact) bin and save to jpg creates a better quality jpg. Plus you can choose your jpg quality percentage. Between the quality percentage and the image downscaling I come to a best compromise. My usual jpg compression percentage is 92%, but I will adjust up or down based on what I see.

I also usually create a jpg no bigger than 1600x1200, as those are the max dimensions allowed by the CN gallery. I will reduce that even smaller if even say 90% jpg compression is still too large a file size.

Of course much depends on what monitor anyone is using, and if their OS is upscaling due to high dpi, but 1600 wide is still pretty reasonable internet posting dimensions.

Then for astrobin I just take whatever my final ST TIFF was, and have Gimp export it to jpg at 100% quality compression.
AndyBooth

Post by AndyBooth »

Roger that mate!
All good stuff.
Will try 1600x1200at 100% and reduce % if it fails.
Thx again.