Having issues with processing

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Having issues with processing

Post by admin »

torsinadoc wrote:Hmm since Im not guiding and just using lens, I guess i can manually bump the camera a little over between images
Strange as it sounds, it would do wonders!
Everyone has been very helpful with AP. I have no idea how we did this prior to the internet :)
I find astrophotographers one of the nicest, generous and helpful bunch of people you'll ever meet. Both in the flesh and on-line.

Jump on one (or more) of the forums for more information on AP and help with acquisition;

If you're based in Australia-based check out the IceInSpace forums.
CloudyNights is a very big US oriented site.
AstronomyForum.net is also very big with heaps of helpful information.

And if you're a Redditor, swing by the friendly /r/astrophotography sub-reddit.
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
lensman57

Post by lensman57 »

Hi Alan,

I usually follow the standard workflow, Dev with a starmask, Wipe module with differenr presets, Dev with another star mask and then Decon,contrast,sharpness, life and colour and denoise, this usually works for me. I am now experimenting with getting the wipe to sample small areas of the back ground that have no object of interest,this sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. I think that the colour started appearing in your image during the life routine and then I just played with the sliders in the colour module untill I got a reasonable balance.

Regards,

A.G
lensman57

Post by lensman57 »

Hi,

Here is a reprocess of the 2nd set of data you have provided, I am not sure what to make of it as I am not familliar with PI but the stack was really green. I have done a quick clean up job and here is the result. In StarTools if your image is green once you do the colour module just cap green to either yellow or brown and it usually gets rid of the nasty stuff.
There is a slight Blue Bias but this could be cleaned up post process.
Regards,

A.G
Attachments
master-integrated-debayerd.jpg
master-integrated-debayerd.jpg (509.6 KiB) Viewed 10144 times
torsinadoc

Post by torsinadoc »

lensman57 wrote:Hi,

Here is a reprocess of the 2nd set of data you have provided, I am not sure what to make of it as I am not familliar with PI but the stack was really green. I have done a quick clean up job and here is the result. In StarTools if your image is green once you do the colour module just cap green to either yellow or brown and it usually gets rid of the nasty stuff.
Regards,

A.G
Thanks. I think the PI stacked (second pic) turns out better than DSS with same data. I see I have a lot to learn to process these crazy things :)

Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

torsinadoc wrote:
lensman57 wrote:Hi,

Regards,

A.G
Thanks. I think the PI stacked (second pic) turns out better than DSS with same data. I see I have a lot to learn to process these crazy things :)

Thanks
Both CCDStack and PI are absolutely awesome in terms of the quality they generate when it comes to stacking. If DSS can be coaxed into cooperating, it's not bad either, but some strange stuff comes up now and then...
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Rowland

Post by Rowland »

Hi Alan. What gear are you using?
torsinadoc

Post by torsinadoc »

Canon t3i and 50mm lens and 18-55 zoom

I think ill use backyard eos for capture and pixinsight to stack. When I get extra ram I'm going to try nebulositu for capture and stack

I have a explore scientific 104APO and celesteon vx mount but won't use it until I figure out imaging
Rowland

Post by Rowland »

That's great. If you are currently using a tripod for your imaging, wait a few seconds between shots and let the image drift across the sensor before taking another - this is as good as dithering. When you get your mount up and running BEOS has a dithering function. Alternatively, you can use your hand controller. Just press RA or DEC momentarily, say .5 second. The box spiral on my blog works quite well. It's a bit tedious doing it manually though.

Got to love star tools though. I'm using pixinsight for stacking as well.
torsinadoc

Post by torsinadoc »

I have vixen polarie that tracks. Maybe between images I should stop it for a few second and turn it back on. May really mess up polar alignment by the end though

how are you stacking in PI? I have been using the batch preprocessing ( can do calibration, registration and integration) with CFA and debayer.
Rowland

Post by Rowland »

I'm using batch preprocessing as well. Default values as a rule, but I will use Linear clipping on large light image sets.

Not sure about the Polarie. If you can switch off on without upsetting alignment, that would work well.