NGC6826

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
mcbbcn

NGC6826

Post by mcbbcn »

Hi Ivo,

I'm to processing, and I've been trying to process this image of NGC6826, but something is off...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/897 ... ration.fit

Please, let me know what you think.

By the way, I downloaded the Beta version (Windows 64-bit), and I was able to open the file, select the first option on the left, and as soon as I did 'Autodev' it crashed. I went back to the .224 version and I could follow the processing steps with no crashes. If you want to do some kind of test, I'll be happy too. As you know I have a core i7 system with 22Gb of RAM. Startools runs on a 10Gb RAMDISK.

Cheers,

M.
admin
Site Admin

Re: NGC6826

Post by admin »

Hi,
mcbbcn wrote: Please, let me know what you think.
3 things stand out with this data;
  • The absence of good flats
  • The presence of debayering artifacts
  • The absence of color, except for a dominant purple
What did you use to stack and debayer the data with?
Did you use flats?
By the way, I downloaded the Beta version (Windows 64-bit), and I was able to open the file, select the first option on the left, and as soon as I did 'Autodev' it crashed. I went back to the .224 version and I could follow the processing steps with no crashes. If you want to do some kind of test, I'll be happy too. As you know I have a core i7 system with 22Gb of RAM. Startools runs on a 10Gb RAMDISK.
That's a worry... :( I've had some other people report sporadic crashes on Windows-64, but haven't been able to find anything wrong in the code, not have I been able to replicate the crashes (I tried again with your crash and data).
I just uploaded a new version (1.3.5.273) that uses a more up-to-date compiler for Windows. Can you see if that helps with the issue at all?

Thanks!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
mcbbcn

Post by mcbbcn »

admin wrote:Hi,
mcbbcn wrote: Please, let me know what you think.
3 things stand out with this data;
  • The absence of good flats
  • The presence of debayering artifacts
  • The absence of color, except for a dominant purple
What did you use to stack and debayer the data with?
Did you use flats?
That's a worry... :( I've had some other people report sporadic crashes on Windows-64, but haven't been able to find anything wrong in the code, not have I been able to replicate the crashes (I tried again with your crash and data).
I just uploaded a new version (1.3.5.273) that uses a more up-to-date compiler for Windows. Can you see if that helps with the issue at all?

Thanks!
It's funny about the flats. I just had them done, and I use an illuminated panel. I'll have to troubleshoot what I'm doing wrong during the Pixinsight calibration procedss.

By the way, I tried the 273 version, and it just returned the same error when I clicked 'autodev'. I attached a screenprint...

Cheers,

M.
Attachments
ST.JPG
ST.JPG (76.37 KiB) Viewed 10853 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

mcbbcn wrote: By the way, I tried the 273 version, and it just returned the same error when I clicked 'autodev'. I attached a screenprint...
Thanks for testing this - it is much appreciated!

Does the crash occur if you say 'modified, not linear' and don't choose to reverse stretch (e.g. keep Tracking off) and THEN use AutoDev?
Does the crash occur in Develop as well with Tracking on?

How do you run StarTools? Straight from the RAM disk?
Ivo Jager
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Actually,

The screenshot you're showing me seems to be of the older 1.3.3 version (the new 'Restore' button is missing).
Are you sure you're running the new version?
Ivo Jager
mcbbcn

Post by mcbbcn »

admin wrote:Actually,

The screenshot you're showing me seems to be of the older 1.3.3 version (the new 'Restore' button is missing).
I just run the steps again...

Here is the snip of the Version (ST1.JPG)...to make sure that I'm using the right version from http://startools.org/drupal/node/28

...and then I clicked the 'Autodev', and here is the snip of the crash (ST2.JPG)

M.
Attachments
ST2.JPG
ST2.JPG (75.57 KiB) Viewed 10852 times
ST1.JPG
ST1.JPG (45.24 KiB) Viewed 10852 times
mcbbcn

Post by mcbbcn »

...by the way, I assume that when I install it, I just need to replace the executable, right? :?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

mcbbcn wrote:

...by the way, I assume that when I install it, I just need to replace the executable, right? :?
Aha. Nope, that won't work. You're mixing an old resources file with a new executable. Add the new resources file as well and you should be good.
Ivo Jager
mcbbcn

Post by mcbbcn »

admin wrote:
mcbbcn wrote:

Aha. Nope, that won't work. You're mixing an old resources file with a new executable. Add the new resources file as well and you should be good.
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
...something told me it was wrong when I knew I was using the right version but you were saying a button was missing...I was just replacing the executable because I wanted to make sure that I was not stepping over the license information...probably, if I just select all the files in the folder and I do a copy/paste, it'll respect the license...but if I blow it, I'll be contacting you... :mrgreen:
mcbbcn

Post by mcbbcn »

admin wrote:
mcbbcn wrote:

It works great now... :obscene-drinkingcheers: