How to mask stars only & not galaxy cores

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
trobbet

How to mask stars only & not galaxy cores

Post by trobbet »

I haven't been able to figure out how to apply a mask just to stars with an image that contains one or more galaxy cores. Every time I have used the star mask routine it will mask out the galaxy core also. I have tried to unmask just these cores in different ways to no avail. I have looked through the forum, without finding this subject addressed. Please help?

CS, Tom
admin
Site Admin

Re: How to mask stars only & not galaxy cores

Post by admin »

trobbet wrote:I haven't been able to figure out how to apply a mask just to stars with an image that contains one or more galaxy cores. Every time I have used the star mask routine it will mask out the galaxy core also. I have tried to unmask just these cores in different ways to no avail. I have looked through the forum, without finding this subject addressed. Please help?

CS, Tom
Hi Tom,

Set the brush mode to any of the following; 'Flood Fill Lighter Pixels', 'Flood Fill Darker Pixels', 'Similar Color' or 'Similar Brightness'. Now click on any set (green) portions the core. It will toggle off all pixels that are set (green) AND touching the clicked pixel. This way you can easily switch off whole 'blobs' of set (green) pixels.

Does that answer your question?
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
trobbet

Re: How to mask stars only & not galaxy cores

Post by trobbet »

Thanks again Ivo!

Somehow, I missed this up until now in the learning process. Every time I learn something like this about ST, I'm delighted with what it can do!
And, Thank you for the amazingly quick reply!

CS, Tom