How to handle bad quality source?

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
Rowland

Re: How to handle bad quality source?

Post by Rowland »

DSLR images often suffer from calibration issues. I would suggest not using the bias frames to calibrate dark and light frames. Use the bias to calibrate your flats only. Your light subs are better calibrated with darks that have not been bias subtracted. This might require separate applications in Nebulosity.
DLSR data is not strictly linear, consequently, programs that are designed for linear CCD data tends to truncate DLSR RAW data.
Cheman

Post by Cheman »

Well now that the master has showed his work, I will refrain from trying to do a sub-par job compared to Ivo. :bow-yellow: But Yeah, you've got a decent image there, especially for only your second try. And good suggestions to help in future pics.
Che
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Cheman wrote:I will refrain from trying to do a sub-par job compared to Ivo
It's just my reasoned interpretation - by no means the 'best', 'right' or 'only' way! :)
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
animaal

Post by animaal »

Thanks guys, that's food for thought. And some great example workflows that I can walk through myself and get comfortable with how things work.