Help removing a blue "glow"

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
OttoMann

Help removing a blue "glow"

Post by OttoMann »

I was out imaging Fri night and had a car come down my road which never happens.
My scope was facing the other direction and the lights didn't actually hit it but they lit up the trees above..
Anyhoo.. When processing there was a swath of blue glow.. not sure how to describe.
I used wipe a couple different ways and the best I could manage is to shrink it a bit and kinda
cut it up into 3 pieces..

see for yourself..
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0dlw7thcjxb5q ... trunk.tiff

I also tried life but don't know what I'm doing. Tried masking the 3 glows and using life and it made it worse..
So can someone clue me in to what they think this is / caused by and what module to use to remove or at least minimize it..

The master autosave if anyone wants to start from scratch..
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t3mgcgrs38htz ... ave002.fts

Thanks,
Kurt
admin
Site Admin

Re: Help removing a blue "glow"

Post by admin »

OttoMann wrote:I was out imaging Fri night and had a car come down my road which never happens.
My scope was facing the other direction and the lights didn't actually hit it but they lit up the trees above..
Anyhoo.. When processing there was a swath of blue glow.. not sure how to describe.
I used wipe a couple different ways and the best I could manage is to shrink it a bit and kinda
cut it up into 3 pieces..

see for yourself..
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0dlw7thcjxb5q ... trunk.tiff

I also tried life but don't know what I'm doing. Tried masking the 3 glows and using life and it made it worse..
So can someone clue me in to what they think this is / caused by and what module to use to remove or at least minimize it..

The master autosave if anyone wants to start from scratch..
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t3mgcgrs38htz ... ave002.fts

Thanks,
Kurt
Hi Kurt,

The best thing in such a situation is obviously not to stack that particular frame at all; depending on the stacking algorithm used and the characteristics of the other frames, it can get used selectively in places in the master frame, which makes it even harder to remove.

However, I did not have any trouble with the data at all!

I'm suspecting you have some dark anomalies (perhaps some dead pixels) that you didn't catch (read Wipe's help). If Wipe encounters a pixel that is darker than the 'real' interstellar background (such as a dead pixel, a dust donut/speck, trees in the foreground, etc.), Wipe will back off locally. This is so that it never clips any data, always leaving faint detail where it can (as opposed to other gradient modeling algorithms in other software).

Bog standard workflow;
Autosave002(1).jpg
Autosave002(1).jpg (575.57 KiB) Viewed 5046 times
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
OttoMann

Post by OttoMann »

Hi Ivo..
I did review the individual subs and didn't see anything so I stacked them all..
Tried re-processing and jacked up the dark anomoly in wipe really high which got rid of some but not all..
Then tried the amp glow setting in wipe and that worked but it made the image look bad..
Prob too late for me to be fiddling right now..
I'll try again tomorrow..

Is there any way you can post your workflow?
Thanks..
Kurt
OttoMann

Post by OttoMann »

Ok..
Guess I was just too tired last night / not thinking straight.. I figured it out!
In wipe I kept the default settings and then jacked up the dark anamoly filter 1 pixel at a time and once I got to 7 the blue was gone!!
Nice! New trick learned..

Thanks Ivo!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Wonderful!

Also, have a look at the Lens module - it can help with the coma.
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast