Trouble with the Trifid

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
whixson

Trouble with the Trifid

Post by whixson »

Early on in using Startools although I've had it a year or more. I did a very limited data LRGB image of M20 and then tried to follow the M8 video tutorial, which was a big help. Couldn't really get the color module to do much for me, turned stars green! Here's the image (low quality JPG) and then links to the TIFF and FITS versions on Dropbox for review and advice. Thanks!
LRGBComp3StarToolsM8TutorialJPG.jpg
LRGBComp3StarToolsM8TutorialJPG.jpg (473.53 KiB) Viewed 8068 times
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6w14kuczcnhi8 ... orial.tiff

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wcbfkfmo7r0ge ... GBFITS.fit

Thanks!

Wayne Hixson
Seattle Stargazer
admin
Site Admin

Re: Trouble with the Trifid

Post by admin »

Hi Wayne,

I had a look at the M20 LRGB data set, but something seems amiss; can you confirm this data set is the result of stacked RAW (or similar) files and not JPEGs or prestretched in DSS? The stack appears to be pre-color balanced and stretched (M20 is readily visible without having to stretch, which is pretty rare).

You're the second person to bring up the image turning green upon launch of the Color module though, which has me worried a bit and makes me wonder if there is a bug somewhere, or if it's just a result of an incomplete Wipe (your data is very noisy and contains a good number of dark anomaly artifacts when processed at full resolution).

If you can reliably replicate the stars turning green, could you post for me the shortest possible workflow that replicates the issue? It'd be very much appreciated!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Cheman

Post by Cheman »

admin wrote:Hi Wayne,

You're the second person to bring up the image turning green upon launch of the Color module though, which has me worried a bit and makes me wonder if there is a bug somewhere, or if it's just a result of an incomplete Wipe (your data is very noisy and contains a good number of dark anomaly artifacts when processed at full resolution).
Ivo, not intending to hijack, but concerning the color module, At home, I am running 1.3.5.289. On my work computer, I run a previous version(before the changes in the color module) I find I get much better color(to my eye)just by opening the module on the older version, than I get in the newer version. Probably something I'm doing, but just thought I'd mention it.
Che
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Cheman wrote: Ivo, not intending to hijack, but concerning the color module, At home, I am running 1.3.5.289. On my work computer, I run a previous version(before the changes in the color module) I find I get much better color(to my eye)just by opening the module on the older version, than I get in the newer version. Probably something I'm doing, but just thought I'd mention it.
Che
Much appreciated Che. Would you be able to tell me which version you're running on your work computer?
Also, is there a particular way the color is off or simply less usable/pleasant/etc. than what you would expect/like?
Ivo Jager
Cheman

Post by Cheman »

Ivo
I'll forward that info to you tomorrow(when I'm at work)
The thing with it is, with the old version, I basically dont need to touch the settings, just open it up and the color looks pretty darn good. Maybe just tweek saturation and adjust color sliders a little, but it starts out pretty good. On the newer version, I gotta work at it a lot more, trying all the different options. If I click somewhere I shouldnt, the color gets all messed up and I start over. Could be my data, could be my ineptness, but the earlier version was easier for ME.
Che
whixson

Post by whixson »

admin wrote:Hi Wayne,

I had a look at the M20 LRGB data set, but something seems amiss; can you confirm this data set is the result of stacked RAW (or similar) files and not JPEGs or prestretched in DSS? The stack appears to be pre-color balanced and stretched (M20 is readily visible without having to stretch, which is pretty rare).

If you can reliably replicate the stars turning green, could you post for me the shortest possible workflow that replicates the issue? It'd be very much appreciated!
Ivo, I created the FITS file directly using the individual LRGB files from Maxim DL 6. Camera is a QSI 690, telescope Televue 127is. Not surprised at the low quality. It represents 1 image each of LRGB and no calibration files, haven't had time to create them. Just got the camera. I will try to replicate the green stars for you!

Wayne
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

whixson wrote: Ivo, I created the FITS file directly using the individual LRGB files from Maxim DL 6. Camera is a QSI 690, telescope Televue 127is. Not surprised at the low quality. It represents 1 image each of LRGB and no calibration files, haven't had time to create them. Just got the camera. I will try to replicate the green stars for you!
Ah, excellent! Thanks very much. When you do the color combine in Maxim, make sure that 'Bgd Auto Equalize' is unchecked and that The Input/Output matrix shows all ones (1). This should keep the data as virgin as possible.
Not a bad go if that's single frames though!
Ivo Jager
whixson

Post by whixson »

admin wrote:
whixson wrote: Ivo, I created the FITS file directly using the individual LRGB files from Maxim DL 6. Camera is a QSI 690, telescope Televue 127is. Not surprised at the low quality. It represents 1 image each of LRGB and no calibration files, haven't had time to create them. Just got the camera. I will try to replicate the green stars for you!
Ah, excellent! Thanks very much. When you do the color combine in Maxim, make sure that 'Bgd Auto Equalize' is unchecked and that The Input/Output matrix shows all ones (1). This should keep the data as virgin as possible.
Yeah I'm real pleased with the camera, based on the new Sony chip. Looking forward to some real imaging with it.
Cheman

Post by Cheman »

admin wrote:
Cheman wrote: Ivo, not intending to hijack, but concerning the color module, At home, I am running 1.3.5.289. On my work computer, I run a previous version(before the changes in the color module) I find I get much better color(to my eye)just by opening the module on the older version, than I get in the newer version. Probably something I'm doing, but just thought I'd mention it.
Che
Much appreciated Che. Would you be able to tell me which version you're running on your work computer?
Also, is there a particular way the color is off or simply less usable/pleasant/etc. than what you would expect/like?
Ivo, the version at work is 1.3.5.258. However, now that I've read more of what you've posted about, dark anomolies etc and color in general and how Startools does things, I'm not conviced its the color module that has a problem, but rather, my image(s) that I noticed this on may not have been ready for the color module yet( especially in regards to the wipe module, being more agressive with it) I tried the same image in both versions, which I had not done before, and got very similar results.
Thanks for always giving such detailed and useful information.
Che
whixson

Post by whixson »

admin wrote:
I'm pretty sure I had Background Auto Equalize checked, will Undo that next time - thanks!