Wavelet Sharpen - Structure Size screen

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
StarGale

Wavelet Sharpen - Structure Size screen

Post by StarGale »

The intro screen for Wavelet Sharpen, the Structure Size screen lets you choose Large, Medium, or Small Scale. I see no difference when the next screen opens. The image looks the same, all of the Scales are set to 100, all of the other fields are the same as well regardless which Structure Size I choose. I thought perhaps I am supposed to set up those fields the way I want them for each Structure Size, so I set the fields differently for one of them. But when I go into the Wavelet Sharpen module a second time none of the fields are the way I set them. They all revert back to their original defaults.

What is the purpose of the Structure Size screen? Am I using it wrong or is that feature not working?

I am using StarTools 1.2.2.224, the Windows 64bit version on Vista.

Thanks,

Gale
admin
Site Admin

Re: Wavelet Sharpen - Structure Size screen

Post by admin »

Hi Gale,

First of all, 1.2 is *ancient* :D.
Please upgrade to the latest 1.3.5 Release Candidate. An incredible amount of improvements have gone into StarTools since 1.2 (most notable the Tracking feature) that will help you eke more out of your data, much easier than before.

To answer your question. The Structure Size setting governs how big the 'jumps' are from one scale slider to the next;
In more human terms, at 'Small', the scale sliders would range from 'Single pixel' (1st slider), via '2-pixel detail' (3rd slider) to '4-pixel detail' (5th slider).
At 'Large', the scale sliders would range from 'Single pixel' (1st slider), via '8-pixel detail' (3rd slider) to '32-pixel detail' (5th slider).
Medium sits in between.

So, if you're only interested in tweaking comparatively small scale detail (up to 4 pixels), you'd select 'small'. If interested in tweaking larger scale detail (up to 32 pixels), you'd select 'large', etc.

Hope this helps!
StarGale wrote:The intro screen for Wavelet Sharpen, the Structure Size screen lets you choose Large, Medium, or Small Scale. I see no difference when the next screen opens. The image looks the same, all of the Scales are set to 100, all of the other fields are the same as well regardless which Structure Size I choose. I thought perhaps I am supposed to set up those fields the way I want them for each Structure Size, so I set the fields differently for one of them. But when I go into the Wavelet Sharpen module a second time none of the fields are the way I set them. They all revert back to their original defaults.

What is the purpose of the Structure Size screen? Am I using it wrong or is that feature not working?

I am using StarTools 1.2.2.224, the Windows 64bit version on Vista.

Thanks,

Gale
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
StarGale

Re: Wavelet Sharpen - Structure Size screen

Post by StarGale »

Hi Ivo,

Thanks for the clear explanation! That explains why I was not seeing big changes in sharpness when using the small Structure Size.

That was a typo on my StarTools version number, it should be 1.3.3.224.
But I still need to upgrade.

Thanks again,
Gale