Image loading

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
piprees

Image loading

Post by piprees »

Hi, when starting a process, it's the left hand option when loading an auto saved image after DSS. Is it the same option when using an image that has been partially processed in DSS. I'm not sure that I'm using the correct one. This is without doubt an absolutely brilliant program. Kind regards. P.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Image loading

Post by admin »

piprees wrote:Hi, when starting a process, it's the left hand option when loading an auto saved image after DSS. Is it the same option when using an image that has been partially processed in DSS. I'm not sure that I'm using the correct one. This is without doubt an absolutely brilliant program. Kind regards. P.
Hi,

When loading an image that has been partially processed, choose 'Modified and not linear'.
However, modifying the data - even in the slightest - is very much *not* recommended if you want to get the most from StarTools. The result will be sub-optimal at best and downright bad at worst.
The reason for this is that any astronomical image processing application requires linear data to start off with, because a number of operations can only performed when the data is still 'virgin' like that.
In StarTools' case this is even more critical, as StarTools (unique amongst its peers) tracks noise and signal evolution as you process the image. If the image has been altered before StarTools can start doing this, then StarTools cannot establish the correct baseline reading it needs to track noise and signal evolution.
Tracking has a number of huge benefits (not in the least, extremely targeted noise reduction), so it would be a shame to give this up!

Hope this helps,

Ivo
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
piprees

Re: Image loading

Post by piprees »

Thanks Ivo, so it's best to use the auto saved image. I've got quite a few to practice on so if any are any good I'll let you know.
P. :thumbsup: