Coalescing stars using Magic & Emmision nebulae Color

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
Starry Eyes

Coalescing stars using Magic & Emmision nebulae Color

Post by Starry Eyes »

So I've improved this Cocoon shot, :D (read AstroBin Description). Then used the Magic module to shrink the stars to accentuate the nebulosity. Looking good so far... except there is an coalescing effect to the stars. :( I wan't to shrink the stars not just make them fainter which I can do using Layers.

So for the color of the H Beta emission Nebulae I did no sampling or adjustment in the Color Module. For the stars I sampled and did 500%.

When using a camera that records a broader spectrum than the human eye can see how are the hues of what we can't see translated into hues we can see? :think:

Thanks for looking!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Coalescing stars using Magic & Emmision nebulae Color

Post by admin »

Nice shot! Though, there is a slight bit of a 'stringy' effect on some of the stars.

It's all about creating the right star mask; if you only want to select the brighter stars, play around with the Auto Mask generator's parameters (while Tracking is on, you can use the the 'Fat Stars' preset to create & save a mask for later use that has the brightest stars selected). The increasing the Filter Sensitivity Parameter will progressively select *fewer* stars.
When using a camera that records a broader spectrum than the human eye can see how are the hues of what we can't see translated into hues we can see? :think:
That's the million dollar question! And there are no 'right' answers to that. We've ventured into unknown territory as it is, trying to depict images that the human eye could never detect itself in the first place - again no right answers!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast