Running Man Nebula

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
midwayexpress

Running Man Nebula

Post by midwayexpress »

So dithering turned out to be very helpful in solving the issues I was having with the pattern noise. However, I'm having some weird gradient issues processing in Startools so I thought I would post to see if anyone had ideas on what could be causing the issue. I tried to increase precision in wipe.

My first processing attempt.

http://www.astrobin.com/156680/

Raw file for download
http://1drv.ms/1CwBusP
ChrisLX200

Re: Running Man Nebula

Post by ChrisLX200 »

I would suggest you need longer exposures to get a better s/n ratio. 210sec is really not much for nebulae and you're going to be working right down there on the noise threshold. Try 10mins and see what happens.

ChrisH
midwayexpress

Post by midwayexpress »

I usually go 5 min (my sky washes out at 6min to 7min) but I happened to have all the dark files for 3.5 min so I went with that. Keep in mind this is a hyperstar at F2.
ChrisLX200

Post by ChrisLX200 »

midwayexpress wrote:I usually go 5 min (my sky washes out at 6min to 7min) but I happened to have all the dark files for 3.5 min so I went with that. Keep in mind this is a hyperstar at F2.
OK, but I did download and run through processing your data, comparing results I think you did a good job and probably got all there was to be had from it. The weird gradient background is just the noise floor (I think).

ChrisH
Rowland

Post by Rowland »

midway - I had a look at your image as well and the data appears to be truncated. Stretching is near impossible. So you have done a pretty good job getting what you have. If your individual subs are OK, this is most likely a calibration issue. Are you using a DSLR?

rowland
midwayexpress

Post by midwayexpress »

Just saw this right now. No I'm using an Atik 420c and then DSS to stack.
Rowland

Post by Rowland »

On second thoughts, I have seen this with an SBIG and never resolved the issue.