Flat with modded DSLR

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
Rowland

Re: Flat with modded DSLR

Post by Rowland »

Made some changes to the previous post. Hopefully, it makes more sense?

Cheers
Rowland
ecuador

Post by ecuador »

N_DD wrote:Hi Rowland,

no, I didn't try with a laptop: I have a C8 and my laptop screen is barely enough for covering its aperture, but I could try. Moreover, I could also display a colored background to correct for the enhanced red sensitivity of my modded camera... let's see!

Thanks,

Nico
An older 15.4" 4:3 laptop I had was great for the C8. But it was a P4 so I gave it away - pretty much useless for everything else - so now I unmount the C8, carry it indoors and shoot the ceiling... But I sort of miss that laptop. At least the 80ED is easy, I use an iPad...

As for the bias/flat issue, one idea is to shoot your flats at ISO 100 so that the noise level is so low that you can do without dark flats or bias. I can't verify this 100% since there is no way for ST to process two differently stacked images (e.g. ISO 1600 dark flats+flats vs ISO 100 flats) exactly the same way (I asked in a feature request - no go) to directly compare and make sure, however my ISO 100 bias frames are pretty flat compared to ISO 800 or 1600, so in theory it should work.
Rowland

Post by Rowland »

+1