Amp glow with Canon 1000D and virtual mirror

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
akeru

Amp glow with Canon 1000D and virtual mirror

Post by akeru »

Hi all! Recently i had a big trouble with my images after removing the ir filter in my Canon 1000D. A few test after I found the problem with the virtual Mirror use:

AntiVibration pause – This is a parameter which is used within exposures plan or bulb exposures. It defines how many seconds to wait after the camera’s mirror is flipped before making the real exposure. This is a valuable option when mirror flipping causes vibrations to your setup. We recommend to experiment and define how long it has to be. Keep in mind that in some positions of your telescope the vibrations can be longer than in others.
If the camera supports LiveView you can set “Long exposure control” to “Virtual” (see next point). With this setting, APT will use LiveView to simulate “Mirror Lockup”. It is a handy option when you don’t have PC operated shutter cable or you don’t have free COM or USB ports or want to use only one cable. Note that simulated “Mirror lockup” leads to amp glow when is used in long exposures!
In the next two links you can compare the level of the noise that 25s LiveView generates. Both images are RAW files taken with Canon 1000D.
25s LiveView + 65s exposure, environment ~19°C
http://www.ideiki.com/astro/skinastro/1 ... irtual.CR2
25s Mirror Lock + 65s exposure, environment ~19°C
http://www.ideiki.com/astro/skinastro/1 ... 5s_Com.CR2
If you want to set AntiVibaration pause to 0s, make sure to set “Mirror Lockup” to OFF.
If you want AntiVibaration greater than 0s and to use PC operated shutter cable, you must set “Mirror Lockup” to ON.
APT will enable/disable automatically the “Mirror lockup” for cameras with Digic III and Digic IV processor.
All cameras with Digic IV processor can make true “Mirror Lockup” only with USB cable. The rest models need separate PC operated cable for true “Mirror Lockup”. For more information, take a look on “EOS models matrix” page in our site.

Prueba burbuja (saturada) by Roberto Ferrero, on Flickr

Using Pixinsight LE y can remove this amp-glow using DBE and managing curves in the backgroud extraction layer but I cannot do the same with wipe in Startools trying all the options in the module. :confusion-shrug:

Tips for a desperate man, please...

Thanks a lot.
KD0NPT-Astro

Re: Amp glow with Canon 1000D and virtual mirror

Post by KD0NPT-Astro »

When you were in the Wipe module, did you gradually try increasing the Aggressiveness and Dark Anomaly filter a little at a time to see if that area would clean up?
akeru

Re: Amp glow with Canon 1000D and virtual mirror

Post by akeru »

I use "amp glow" option in wipe module selecting the area with lasso and creating a mask first. I try with the default values in the first attempt with bad results, and if I try to reduce agressiveness the process goes for a very very long time....