M 20

User images created with StarTools.
Stefan B

M 20

Post by Stefan B »

Continuing last year's low dec challenge (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2848)...I pointed the scope at M 20, not rising higher than 18° from my location.

Conditions haven't been easy but for being so close to the horizon I was surprised that there has only been a slight gradient. The amount of small and faint stars is a challenge as always when imaging something in the milky way band. So I had pretty much the same problem like Ron. But of course no solution :confusion-shrug: I tried to push them back with Shrink and SS DimSmall.

Cool thing: I was able to observe noctilucent clouds while setting up the scope:

Unfortunately it was almost too late when I was ready with my tripod and DSLR. Pretty embarrassing...I obviously forgot how to handle a DSLR without being connected to a PC and controlling it via software...

Regards
Stefan
dx_ron

Re: M 20

Post by dx_ron »

Both of those are really nice, Stefan! The clouds are particularly cool - and uniquely your own.

As for the stars - it's kind of odd, because I look at your image and the mass of Milky Way stars don't bother me. It must be something about staring at them all up close and personal all the way through several rounds of processing that makes them seem more problematic.

In theory, I should have a bit easier time than you with M20. We get ~4 hours / night minimum full darkness and M20 rises a bit higher in my sky. But (there's always a 'but') I have no clear view of the deep south from home. So I'd have to travel. But I tend to not travel at peak summer, both because of the heat and (mostly) because astro dark does not arrive until 11pm. It only makes sense to go remote if I'm going to camp all night, so I almost always end up choosing to image from home and sleep.
Stefan B

Post by Stefan B »

Thanks, Ron!
dx_ron wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 3:55 pm As for the stars - it's kind of odd, because I look at your image and the mass of Milky Way stars don't bother me. It must be something about staring at them all up close and personal all the way through several rounds of processing that makes them seem more problematic.
I get what you mean. Had the same impression with your image.

Sometimes I have images of mine that I truly don't like no matter how I process them. When I look at some of them again after not having seen them for a year or so my first impression is much better and I am wondering what was so bad about them. And then it's important to immediately stop thinking since otherwise I remember all those little ugly aspects of the image and instantly see them again :lol:

Regards
Stefan
decay

Post by decay »

Stefan B wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 2:09 pm Continuing last year's low dec challenge ...I pointed the scope at M 20
I haven't forgot the challenge, Stefan. But as you wrote, these objects are only visible for a small time for us. For me it was too late for M20 when we had some clear nights here. Some weeks before I tried IC 4592 / LBN 1113, a blue reflection nebula north of Antares. But sky was much too bright, nothing was visible in the end. :(

Anyway, great image of M20! Well, those millions of equal looking tiny stars are a result of processing with Shrink and Super Structure modules (and maybe SV-Decon), but I guess that's the price we have to pay. And I too think, most times they only bother the author himself. :lol:

Dietmar.

P.S.: Great clouds! And nice image composition! Perhaps a candidate for your photo wall?
Stefan B

Post by Stefan B »

Hi Dietmar!

great to read from you! :obscene-drinkingcheers:
decay wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 11:57 am I haven't forgot the challenge, Stefan. [...] Some weeks before I tried IC 4592 / LBN 1113, a blue reflection nebula north of Antares. But sky was much too bright, nothing was visible in the end. :(
The blue horsehead? :shock: That's well below 10° altitude, isn't it`? Impressive you even dared trying!
decay wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 11:57 am Anyway, great image of M20! Well, those millions of equal looking tiny stars are a result of processing with Shrink and Super Structure modules (and maybe SV-Decon), but I guess that's the price we have to pay. And I too think, most times they only bother the author himself. :lol:
I hope so!
decay wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 11:57 am Great clouds! And nice image composition! Perhaps a candidate for your photo wall?
Rather not. One third of the image is basically pure black and the focus isn't spot on either. As already mentioned...me fiddling with the knobs and the wheels and looking at the small screen not being able to tell focus from blurred. But nice anyway :D Sometimes it's not about technical excellence.

Best regards
Stefan