NGC6914 HaRGB 8h total- Bortle8

User images created with StarTools.
Carles

NGC6914 HaRGB 8h total- Bortle8

Post by Carles »

NGC6914 , 4hours RGB (IR/UV antihalo) + 4hours L-extreme from Bortle 8 ish.

PlayerOne Poseidon-C (imx571) camera and Borg89ED telescope

Calibrated with DSS, Staked on Siril,
"pre-processed" for background extraction on GraXpert, then usual StarTools workflow.

Regards,

Carles.

HRGB  NGC6914 done-2low res.jpg
HRGB NGC6914 done-2low res.jpg (514.6 KiB) Viewed 4813 times
decay

Re: NGC6914 HaRGB 8h total- Bortle8

Post by decay »

Looks great, Carles :) . Amazing to see, what's possible for you under Bortle 8 skies. :bow-yellow:
"Usual ST workflow" means processing with NB Accent, I suppose? I still have to try that, too. But weather here doesn't allow for it. Clouds, rain and still missing astrodark :(
Why do you stack with Siril, but calibrate with DSS?

Dietmar.
Carles

Post by Carles »

decay wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 6:50 pm Looks great, Carles :) . Amazing to see, what's possible for you under Bortle 8 skies. :bow-yellow:
"Usual ST workflow" means processing with NB Accent, I suppose? I still have to try that, too. But weather here doesn't allow for it. Clouds, rain and still missing astrodark :(
Why do you stack with Siril, but calibrate with DSS?

Dietmar.
Thank you Dietmar!

Yes the usual ST workflow means using the NB Accent indeed :D Also sometimes at the end, I use Halpha only file on Layer module to try to enhance details a bit.

I like the stack result in Siril, but since I pre-calibrate each session, I find it more comfortable to do so in DSS.
So I precalibrate and keep cal.tiff files, so I can always stack all images from different sessions, also in Siril I simplpy copy paste the Cal files to a folder then Use the script of my liking for stack it , and it is very fast :)

Carles.
Stefan B

Post by Stefan B »

Hi Carles,

awesome result, can't believe it's from Bortle 8 :bow-yellow: Especially the reflection nebula is remarkable.
Carles wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 9:55 am "pre-processed" for background extraction on GraXpert
Does Graxpert work on linear data or did you have to stretch it for background extraction and work without tracking in ST?

Regards
Stefan
Carles

Post by Carles »

Stefan B wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 11:11 am Hi Carles,

awesome result, can't believe it's from Bortle 8 :bow-yellow: Especially the reflection nebula is remarkable.
Carles wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 9:55 am "pre-processed" for background extraction on GraXpert
Does Graxpert work on linear data or did you have to stretch it for background extraction and work without tracking in ST?

Regards
Stefan
Hi Stefan,

thanks! i'm quite impressed with this sensor! :D

Yes, I used GraXpert on linear data, right after stacking, in software itself you can crop edges and then use different algorithms for background extraction, yielding quite interesting results. And then just load it in StarTools as any normal linear file

give it a go :D

Regards,
Carles.
Stefan B

Post by Stefan B »

Hi Carles,

I will certainly try! Sometimes I have difficulties to get a flat field. That might be an option.

Did you reduce 'Gradient aggressiveness' to 0 in Wipe? There shouldn't be anything left to wipe, right?

Regards
Stefan
Carles

Post by Carles »

It depends on the gradient you got on your files, for some reason I find that WIpe brings up some green noise that doesn't seems to be there on the corrected image.

i might leave it default and tweak dark anomalies instead.

but in your files might vary, your sky is cleaner than mine for sure!

Carles
Stefan B

Post by Stefan B »

I tried it on some of my images and got decent looking results :thumbsup: And I can confirm that sometimes there's a green cast in ST after Wipe (even after adjusting for dark anomalies) which isn't visible in Graxpert's diagnostic stretch. Interesting...

Did you crop your broadband and narrowband stacks in Graxpert before background extraction? If so, how did you make sure that the crops were identical? I didn't see coordinates in Graxpert like in ST's Crop module.

Regards
Stefan
Carles

Post by Carles »

Hi Stefan, I don't know, I don't think I cropped it there.

Carles