Newly re-processed old data

User images created with StarTools.
Lawrence

Newly re-processed old data

Post by Lawrence »

First processed in 2004 using xxx software.
First processed in 2004 using xxx software.
ic434region ir 9m_c.jpg (382.58 KiB) Viewed 1721 times
If this submission works there should be two pictures: my original data from 2004 processed at that time and a new version using the same data set processed in StarTools yesterday. I have unknown numbers of collected files all asking to be re-processed! I'm showing these as an example. 9 min total exposure probably using my LX200 scope of that time. Yes, in time I should be able to do better than this. Processing was little more than a/d, bin, crop, wipe, a/d, contrast, colour.

Lawrence Harris
Attachments
The new version (same data) via StarTools.
The new version (same data) via StarTools.
IC434_region_22022004_ST.jpg (65.09 KiB) Viewed 1721 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Newly re-processed old data

Post by admin »

A remarkable improvement in color accuracy Lawrence. It shows that even the most marginal data can yield scientifically useful clues about objects, as long as proper procedures are respected with regards to its processing. Excellent! :thumbsup:
On another note, have you tried the 1.7 alpha yet? It comes with some contrast improvements in the UI (If memory serves me right, you were one of the users of requested some work on this?)

Clear skies!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Lawrence

Re: Newly re-processed old data

Post by Lawrence »

Hi Ivo

This was processed using the 1.6 version. I will install the newer one today.

You must take a huge amount of credit for these results. As an astronomer who spent 9 years as an amateur (~1961 to 1968) followed by many more as a professional, using this software has been a boon beyond imagination. I am going to see how much I can repair some of my failed - but retained - images of years back where tracking was poor. But I have a lot of reasonably good images and I look forward to reprocessing them with StarTools.

Thank you so much.

Lawrence