M81, M82 IKO processing competition on SGL

User images created with StarTools.
LuckyEddie

M81, M82 IKO processing competition on SGL

Post by LuckyEddie »

Here is my attempt at precessing the excellent data from https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/3809 ... gust-2021/ using the 1.8 Alpha.
admin
Site Admin

Re: M81, M82 IKO processing competition on SGL

Post by admin »

Great detail!

Both galaxies are very green however? (use MaxRGB if you to help you check for green dominance)

This dataset seems to be uncharacteristically poorly calibrated for an IKI dataset. I had a fair bit of trouble getting decent coloring out of this myself, until I realised that. I had to resort to the Uncalibrated 1 preset in order to fix up the uneven lighting and vignetting.

Do that though, an you should get much better coloring form the Color module by default (defaults used below + NBAccent module with Ha);
NewComposite.jpg
NewComposite.jpg (583.39 KiB) Viewed 1825 times
Clear skies!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
LuckyEddie

Post by LuckyEddie »

Thanks Ivo, I do struggle with colours for several reasons: lack of definitive reference, rubbish monitor, and most of all I have red-green colour blindness. I've tried a further edit paying attention to the Max RGB as you suggested...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

LuckyEddie wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:25 pm Thanks Ivo, I do struggle with colours for several reasons: lack of definitive reference, rubbish monitor, and most of all I have red-green colour blindness. I've tried a further edit paying attention to the Max RGB as you suggested...
This is 100% spot-on. What a fantastic result in color and detail!

MaxRGB was specifically made for color balancing when color perception (or rendering) is impaired, as this covers a fair chunk of the population.

You may also be interested in this thread on Cloudy Nights.
To bust some myths/misconceptions there, I even created a special version of StarTools that lets non-impaired people work on an image as if they were red-green impaired person, and shows where the "green galaxy" phenomenon comes from.

The gist of my advice there is to - if you're a StarTools user - use the MaxRGB mode, and try to learn what sort of physics are going on in a particular area. The latter will very often inform what sort of colouring is applicable to that region (knowledge which you can then couple with MaxRGB to achieve the right balance).

Cheers!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Carles

Post by Carles »

Good result! :D

I've tried it myself, but the color is off somehow...it came out all very blue, and calibration of the frames also
seems not right.. So I gave up.

Still, saw some good results in the thread so...I don't know.
For me it just came out too blue when using Compose.
Actually seeing the wipe result, did a quick stretch and straight to colour to check...it is very blue.

Will see if they replace the files.

Anyway congratulations :D

Ivo, very interesting topic! Will have a look and maybe give a try to that special 1.7! :D Since I have a very
poorly calibrated screeen, it might actually be useful! :P

Clear skies

Carles.
LuckyEddie

Post by LuckyEddie »

Thanks for the guidance Ivo. Interesting thread, and some more reading for the list. It's sad how many topics on CN end up with a confrontational tone. Because of that I largely avoid it now.

Thanks for your kind words, Charles.