The LMC using version 1.8

User images created with StarTools.
Russ.Carpenter

The LMC using version 1.8

Post by Russ.Carpenter »

Version 1.8 produced some huge improvements to my LMC data. Here are the text and image I posted to Astrobin this morning. https://www.astrobin.com/fk9cx3/ I hope you check out the Astrobin link, because the size reduction and compression required for images on this website seriously degrade the image.

Large Magellanic Cloud (LMC)—New Approach

Here is a combination of new and old data, processed differently. I started with an RGB image and then added accents from Ha and OIII channels. My goal was to carefully balance the narrowband accents, staying faithful to the relative strengths of the signals in the narrowband masters. I also attempted to process tiny stars carefully, to resolve as many stars in the galaxy as possible.

Tech Notes for Very Small Telescope
Nikon 200mm lens, f/2
10 Micron GM1000HPs Robotic Mount
FLI Microline 16200 CCD Camera, 6mm pixel
Processing with PixInsight, StarTools and Affinity Photo
Attachments
LMC Small.jpg
LMC Small.jpg (498.79 KiB) Viewed 1633 times
Mike in Rancho

Re: The LMC using version 1.8

Post by Mike in Rancho »

How cool! :thumbsup:

The tiny stars do indeed look amazing. The Ha seems kind of strong. I did check the astrobin but maybe I didn't make it full size in order to show it properly. Don't know my way around it too well.

Had to look up what a very small telescope was also. Sometimes I think mine fits the description, but seems this is a remote service. :lol:
Russ.Carpenter

Re: The LMC using version 1.8

Post by Russ.Carpenter »

Hello, and sorry for the late reply.

I've often wondered how much Ha enhancement is the "right" amount. Take a cruise through Astrobin, and it varies all over the map! The great thing about the new accent tool is how much control it gives us over the intensity of the enhancement, and how well it prevents a red cast from polluting the rest of the image. Yay!