Rosette nebula

User images created with StarTools.
Stefan B

Rosette nebula

Post by Stefan B »

Hi everyone,

finally had a clear night again and went for the Rosette nebula with a duo NB filter. For processing the new stable 1.8.525 was used - without problems! This is what I got from 5 hours of l-eNhance data:

For techical details see https://www.astrobin.com/full/w3po4i/0/

Regards
Stefan
Burly

Re: Rosette nebula

Post by Burly »

Nice image Stefan , what settings did you use in compose mode how did you load data .
Stefan B

Post by Stefan B »

Thanks, Burly, the stack was loaded into R, G and B and the bicolor option for DSLRs was used. In color I used the H(HO)O option.

I also like your image of the Rosette nebula. Looks much more natural than mine.

Regards
Stefan
Mike in Rancho

Post by Mike in Rancho »

Well done both of you! :thumbsup:

Even after more than a year at the AP thing, I have yet to train my sights on the Rosette. I'll have to see how much of it might fit in the 610mm of the Newt.

And as long as there was no egregious straying from Ivo's best practices, and avoiding the, um, frowned-upon techniques, I'd say either should be perfectly legit and natural, as explained (both are duobands so no full spectrum naturalness). Nothing wrong with balancing a bicolor to reveal areas of some OIII/Hb, and saturation is really just "stretching" of faint color.

From an artistic as well as perceptual standpoint, I also like the OIII reveal, and the H(HO)O, as it seems to help display the details better. Maybe a contrast thing or just how my eyes work.

And in the other thread, indeed, deep space must be dark. :D We aren't PI users...
Stefan B

Post by Stefan B »

Hi Mike,
Mike in Rancho wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:54 pm the H(HO)O, as it seems to help display the details better. Maybe a contrast thing or just how my eyes work.

Maybe not how your eyes are working but rather how eyes are working. According to color theory blue and orange are complementary colors. See e.g. https://www.canva.com/colors/color-wheel/
This combination provides a high contrast and high impact color combination – together, these colors will appear brighter and more prominent.
That's probably one of the reason people are drawn to the Hubble palette with brown/golden and blue colors.

Regards
Stefan
Stefan B

Post by Stefan B »

I was able to add some broadband data and combined duo NB and broadband via NBAccent. NBAccent is getting one of my favourite modules... :bow-yellow:

Regards
Stefan
Stefan B

Post by Stefan B »

Since there was still some gradient on the left side, I am not convinced with the color palette and I was too hard on HDR, I tried another NBAccent blend were I tried to get it more natural/conventional. I am happy for now, let's see how long this lasts :lol: Anyone else who is often excited about renditions and after some days you are thinking...what have I done? :lol:

Regards
Stefan
Mike in Rancho

Post by Mike in Rancho »

A nicely-improved edition. :bow-yellow: The stars seem much better to me than the prior post too.
Stefan B

Post by Stefan B »

Thanks, Mike. Yes, I tried to be not as agressive. That helped with the stars. And I recently started using the 'dim' preset in 'Shrink'. It gives good results in pushing back the stars and softens the stars after they look razor sharp with the new SVDecon. Maybe not as documentary but esthetically more pleasing in my eyes.

Regards
Stefan