M 3 - First Light Omegon veTec 571 C

User images created with StarTools.
Stefan B

M 3 - First Light Omegon veTec 571 C

Post by Stefan B »

I made the switch to a cooled OSC: the Omegon veTEC 571 C, which is one of the Touptek clones with the IMX571 sensor also used in the ASI2600MC and the QHY268C.

This is my first light with the new camera:

Yeah, some gradient and dust donuts left. But not bad for a first light I think.

See https://www.astrobin.com/98o76z/0/ for details.

Regards
Stefan
Mike in Rancho

Re: M 3 - First Light Omegon veTec 571 C

Post by Mike in Rancho »

Awesome and congrats! :thumbsup: Nice to see so many playing with new equipment. :D And you really can't beat a 2600/571 very well, can ya?

I took a little moon M13 myself last night which I will post up now, though it's significantly more ragged than your nice glob.
decay

Post by decay »

Hi Stefan,

congratulations to your new camera! And soon I will be the last one using a cheap DSLR?! :lol:

Funny: I took a shot of M3 a few days ago and yesterday evening I completed the post processing and thought about posting it here in the gallery. And in this moment your submission came in!

Nice image as first light, I am curious about your next submissions. I hope you have lots of fun with the new camera :thumbsup:

Best regards, Dietmar.
Stefan B

Post by Stefan B »

Hi Mike and Dietmar,

thanks, the new camera will pay off. But i think so.

@Dietmar: I am sure there are still plenty people out there using DSLRs since you can make incredible images with it. But I had the impression that the DSLR was holding me back. It performs great on bright stuff in cold nights. But dark nebulae in warmer nights are a problem. And that's what I'd like to do. I love the images from Cepheus with it's amazing dust regions. They are very hard to get with my DSLR...

Regards
Stefan
decay

Post by decay »

Hi Stefan,
Stefan B wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:45 pm I love the images from Cepheus with it's amazing dust regions. They are very hard to get with my DSLR
Yes, I have seen the amazing nebula images on your AstroBin page :thumbsup: . I'm sure, a dedicated cooled astro cam is the next reasonable and consequent step for you - concerning the equipment you already own and the skills you reached by now.

You mentioned (on AstroBin?) that your (old) camera shows significant noise rising with ambient temperature. I didn't recognized that with my camera by now - maybe noise performance is better or I'm simply not experienced enough to recognize it at all :lol:

Best regards, Dietmar.
Stefan B

Post by Stefan B »

decay wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:53 pm You mentioned (on AstroBin?) that your (old) camera shows significant noise rising with ambient temperature. I didn't recognized that with my camera by now - maybe noise performance is better or I'm simply not experienced enough to recognize it at all
I am sure you would notice this banding. There are whole columns or rows that are dimmer. You need to have quite some dithering to get rid of this. During winter time this is much less of a problem.

Regards
Stefan