And now for something (not) completely different: M56

User images created with StarTools.
dx_ron

And now for something (not) completely different: M56

Post by dx_ron »

Only 105 minutes total. If I keep having clear skies near full moons I might add to this.
With my small sensor I do not have the FoV to include M56's possible companion (NGC 5053), so just a boring photo with the glob centered in the frame. Most of the Astrobin images I looked at reduced the star field, but I left it alone and did not visit the Shrink module. I also skipped HDR this time, given the much smaller apparent size, compared to M3 and M13.

RC6 @993mm, QHY183C. 210 x 30s at gain 5 (that's 50 to you ZWOers).
M56_210x30s_05-31-22_process.jpg
M56_210x30s_05-31-22_process.jpg (508.7 KiB) Viewed 878 times
I was surprised when I got to the Color module. Normally I wind up reducing green quite a lot, around 1.9. But there was very little 'excess' green in this image. That makes me wonder - it's the same sensor. Shouldn't the color balance be generally similar image to image?
decay

Re: And now for something (not) completely different: M56

Post by decay »

Hmm ...

completely different or not - but maybe it weighs 16 tons? ;)
dx_ron wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 5:09 pm Most of the Astrobin images I looked at reduced the star field, but I left it alone and did not visit the Shrink module.
I like wide star fields, it emphasizes the vastness of space - at least for me :)

Best regards, Dietmar.
dx_ron

Re: And now for something (not) completely different: M56

Post by dx_ron »

I find, with SVDecon, much, much less of an urge to "do something" about stars. We'll see if my feelings change back again as we continue rotating back around toward the Milky Way. The last few months have been imaging things with not many stars in the field (and not many guide stars!).