M16 Eagle Nebula ( 1st Nebula with new Rig )

User images created with StarTools.
Startrek

M16 Eagle Nebula ( 1st Nebula with new Rig )

Post by Startrek »

This is my first Nebula with the new rig although I’ve been imaging M16 for years
Captured 2.5 hrs under a near full moon with sky conditions quite poor ( Stars scintillating)

NexDome Obs
Bortle 3/4
Waxing moon 85%
10” f5 Klaus Helmerich Carbon Fibre Newtonian
Skywatcher EQ8-R Pro mount
ZWO 2600MC cooled to -10C Gain 100 LRN
Optolong L Extreme filter
30 x 5 minute dithered guided subs
40 x Flats
60 x Bias
EQMOD, Stellarium, APT
PHD2 Multistar guiding ( 0.70 to 0.80 arc sec total )
Stacked in DSS ( No Background Calibration)
Processed in Startools V1.7 Compose OSC Bi Color
Colour module Scientific , SHO preset

Comments most welcome
Thanks
Attachments
C36F5996-FA21-4804-AEAD-F715C203B5DE.jpeg
C36F5996-FA21-4804-AEAD-F715C203B5DE.jpeg (646.83 KiB) Viewed 1190 times
decay

Re: M16 Eagle Nebula ( 1st Nebula with new Rig )

Post by decay »

Hi Martin, that's a very fine result :thumbsup: For me M16 is only (too) low above horizon, but maybe I will try anyway - your image looks simply great.
I see, you chose to stick with DSS without background calibration. As far as I can see, that's very OK, or do you have any doubts?
BTW: I already wanted to tell it last time: Maybe you should consider to upgrade to 1.8. The SVDecon Module does an awesome job ( :bow-yellow: ) with most of my images and maybe it could shrink the stars a little bit more in your case as well. I made the mistake and read the 1.8 documentation afterwards, it would maybe be helpful to do this before ;)

Best regards, Dietmar.
Startrek

Post by Startrek »

Thanks Dietmar,

Appreciate your kind comments

Yes I’ve stacked with No Background Calibration and Per Channel Calibration and I can’t see any significant difference after a stretch , however I’m just following Ivo’s advice as a prerequisite and stick to No Background Calibration
Apparently Ivo is working on V1.9 so I might wait until a stable release of v1.9 and update then
V1.7 is a tremendous version compared to all previous versions ( I started with v1.4 ) and yes SV Decon in 1.8 probably has superior results but Im happy to wait until v1.9

Thanks
Martin
Mike in Rancho

Post by Mike in Rancho »

Another nice one!

I believe before you had listed your CC as maybe a TS GPU or something like that?

I notice that SVD works better with my Sharpstar CC than the previous Baader MPCC. But, I imagine that even without the license you've probably test drove 1.8? There were quite a few good improvements. As long as your image is deep enough and has enough resolution, which it looks like yours probably does, the SVD result should add significant clarity.

I think Ivo is always thinking about, and tinkering with, the next generation ST, but I don't know what kind of time frame there is for 1.9 or what the changes might be. Other than perhaps language support and something that sounded like too much like AI or reading the user's mind. :shock:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No timeframe for 1.9 just yet. Though development is always on-going whenever I get a chance, I've been very busy with the-job-that-pays-the-bills lately... So much to do, so little time!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Startrek

Post by Startrek »

Looks like I’ll be downloading v1.8 shortly

Ivo
That’s for the update

Martin