JWST Pillars of Creation

User images created with StarTools.
Mike in Rancho

Re: JWST Pillars of Creation

Post by Mike in Rancho »

Cheman wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:51 pm
Cheman wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:26 pm Mike
I tried a few more settings in APP using the original files. It always fails reg on the f090w file. the others all say registered. the number of stars detected on that one is 254 while the others are all over 1500. I am assuming that this is the problem but have not been able to find a setting that will successfully register all. I might try a few more settings as it's a learning experience but am runnin out of ideas. If you would like, I can upload all the others
Che.
I changed the reference frame and made a few other settings adjustments and was finaly able to get APP to run without errors. I also included a file of all frames integrated together give it a try and see if I was sucessful this time. https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/eu5xuhjc ... k5j7vuk0so
Well done, Che! :bow-yellow:

I think you got it! I'll for sure try those out and see if it's any cleaner than my painstakingly-crafted (yet beloved all the same) manual alignment files. :lol:

I hadn't considered APP. I'm still going to throw this at a few of my PI buddies to see if they can crunch these into shape.

I think the best DSS gave me was 2 or 3 of the 6 with computed offsets, but I didn't go forward to see how it would actually do. With a lot of fiddling in the settings, I got ASTAP to say it would align 4 of the 6. When I opened them though, they weren't properly aligned at all, so somehow it got fooled by the star patterns/quads it had created.