Orion Nebula

User images created with StarTools.
JustAstrophotography

Orion Nebula

Post by JustAstrophotography »

Hello Everyone!

Long time lurker on the Startools forums but first time posting. I've been using startools for about 2 years now and have enjoyed every part of it. This is one of my more recent images I've processed, and starting to feel more comfortable using layer module to create an HDR image. I am very much looking forward to the new 1.9 version :D

Gear and details:
EQ6-r pro
Redcat51
ZWO 183mc pro
AsiAir plus
DSS

light frames
60x300s
60x180s
20x30s
20x15s
20x5s

I'll probably post a full resolution of this on astrobin for everyone to see

Clear skies!
Justin
Attachments
Orion Nebula HD12 combined-startools4.jpeg
Orion Nebula HD12 combined-startools4.jpeg (40.5 KiB) Viewed 1241 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Orion Nebula

Post by admin »

That's a wonderfully deep rendition, with great dynamic range management - from the bright core to the faint brown dust.

I (and as I suspect everyone else) would definitely love to see that higher resolution version! :thumbsup:
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
JustAstrophotography

Thank you! It did take a few tries to get it right but I enjoy the learning process

As promised:
https://www.astrobin.com/c4mw6a/B/
Mike in Rancho

Post by Mike in Rancho »

That is really nice, deep, and dusty! :bow-yellow:

5 full sets of differing exposures? Curious how you layered/blended them together. :think:

And did you find it deeper or a better global result for you compared to say, just the 300s or 180s sets alone and applying the HDR module?
JustAstrophotography

Mike in Rancho wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:55 am That is really nice, deep, and dusty! :bow-yellow:

5 full sets of differing exposures? Curious how you layered/blended them together. :think:

And did you find it deeper or a better global result for you compared to say, just the 300s or 180s sets alone and applying the HDR module?

Thanks Mike!

I actually split my exposures into 2 data sets. One that consisted of the 300 and 180s exposures and the other 30, 15 and 5s exposures. This may not be best practice but when I stacked the 2 separate data sets I choose Entropy weighted average in DSS. (I might have misunderstood its application but I took it as a setting in which you could stack different exposures together. Also it will wash out the core if you try to stack everything together which is why I went with the 2 sets). The biggest draw back I found using EWA is the dead pixels "streaks" (the squiggly lines of red blue and green) if that's what they are :confusion-shrug: But heal module takes care of them easily. In hind sight I probably only need to do 30s exposure for the core, not sure if the 15 and 5 did much. With the 300 or 180s exposure I could never resolve the core. I do have a dualband filter for my osc and now wonder how that would look layered in :think: