NGC 3324 Gabriela Mistral Nebula under a Full Moon

User images created with StarTools.
Startrek

NGC 3324 Gabriela Mistral Nebula under a Full Moon

Post by Startrek »

NGC 3324 Gabriela Mistral Nebula is located in Carina and forms one of the outer arms of this huge emission nebula in the Southern Hemisphere.
This nebula was named after the famous Latin American ( Chile ) author who was the first woman to receive a Nobel Prize for Literature.
The Antlia ALPT 5nm OSC Dualband filter performed extremely well again under Bortle 7-8 City suburban skies and a Full Moon
Captured over 2 nights
6” f6 GSO Newtonian Reflector
Skywatcher EQ6-R mount
ZWO 2600MC cooled to -10C , Gain 101 Ascom
TS Optics GPU coma corrector
Antlia ALPT 5nm OSC dualband filter
150 x 2min dithered guided subs
2 x 40 Flats
60 x Bias
EQMOD and Ascom Stellarium Goto and tracking
APT for Capture
PHD2 Multistar guiding ( 0.45 to 0.55 arc sec total )
Stacked in DSS
Processed in Startools V1.8
Data set loaded via Compose ( OSC / DSLR Bi Color )
Color Scientific and 50/50 Layering CIELab
SHO matrix presets , a few versions
I didn’t apply Super structure ( Brightness) this time to keep the fine detail intact
Although I did use Superstructure ( Isolate ) but selected brightness retention Local Median at 50% strength, which dimmed interstellar background and Star field slightly but retained detail in the main structures.Isolate “default” is way too aggressive.
Happy with the final result

Comments welcome
Thanks
Attachments
76689CC0-3BA3-4A95-A84F-ABD58BE27AE4.jpeg
76689CC0-3BA3-4A95-A84F-ABD58BE27AE4.jpeg (470.7 KiB) Viewed 2429 times
CB88D863-6D50-4A03-9CE2-931C57CC731D.jpeg
CB88D863-6D50-4A03-9CE2-931C57CC731D.jpeg (469.46 KiB) Viewed 2429 times
63F25859-4F56-433B-9F74-7D1CE4A1001A.jpeg
63F25859-4F56-433B-9F74-7D1CE4A1001A.jpeg (466.35 KiB) Viewed 2429 times
Startrek

Re: NGC 3324 Gabriela Mistral Nebula under a Full Moon

Post by Startrek »

Startrek wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:32 am NGC 3324 Gabriela Mistral Nebula is located in Carina and forms one of the outer arms of this huge emission nebula in the Southern Hemisphere.
This nebula was named after the famous Latin American ( Chile ) author who was the first woman to receive a Nobel Prize for Literature.
The Antlia ALPT 5nm OSC Dualband filter performed extremely well again under Bortle 7-8 City suburban skies and a Full Moon
Captured over 2 nights
6” f6 GSO Newtonian Reflector
Skywatcher EQ6-R mount
ZWO 2600MC cooled to -10C , Gain 101 Ascom
TS Optics GPU coma corrector
Antlia ALPT 5nm OSC dualband filter
150 x 2min dithered guided subs
2 x 40 Flats
60 x Bias
EQMOD and Ascom Stellarium Goto and tracking
APT for Capture
PHD2 Multistar guiding ( 0.45 to 0.55 arc sec total )
Stacked in DSS
Processed in Startools V1.8
Data set loaded via Compose ( OSC / DSLR Bi Color )
Color Scientific and 50/50 Layering CIELab
SHO matrix presets , a few versions
I didn’t apply Super structure ( Brightness) this time to keep the fine detail intact
Although I did use Superstructure ( Isolate ) but selected brightness retention Local Median at 50% strength, which dimmed interstellar background and Star field slightly but retained detail in the main structures.Isolate “default” is way too aggressive.
Happy with the final result

Astrobin link here

https://www.astrobin.com/vthsv9/

Comments welcome
Thanks
Stefan B

Post by Stefan B »

Great as usual, Martin! Nice depth and good dynamic range ;-) I am always impressed what you are able to achieve even under heavy LP and bright moon. I wouldn't even bother setting up...

I like the first color palette. Do you remember which one it was?

Regards
Stefan
Mike in Rancho

Post by Mike in Rancho »

Very good again, Martin. :thumbsup:

And nice framing as well. On this one, interestingly I am actually liking the middle rendition, which seems closer to a classic HOO coloring. It seems to be displaying the best variation of colors and blended shades so as to see the differing detail better. Though of course, it's possible your other mappings could do the same with a few adjustments to the bias sliders.

And while it's also possible that bicolor may be the best choice at times, it also seems to me that down there you are overrun with targets just begging for tricolor SHO. :D
Startrek

Post by Startrek »

Stefan B wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:14 am Great as usual, Martin! Nice depth and good dynamic range ;-) I am always impressed what you are able to achieve even under heavy LP and bright moon. I wouldn't even bother setting up...

I like the first color palette. Do you remember which one it was ?

Regards
Stefan
Thanks Stefan
The Antlia ALPT filter at 5nm makes it all possible,without it I’m limited to 60 to 90 sec subs during the new moon period imaging only a few emission / reflection nebula , globs and galaxies with a lot of work to mitigate the LP gradients
Fortunately I have my Obs on my coastal rural property under Bortle 3 skies , but having free time to get down there (even in retirement) is difficult. My wife and I help out with our grandkids from time to time ( 2 years up to school age )
School holidays I’m always down at my Obs plus some spare time in between during the year

Color palette on the first image was the 2nd option in the matrix , SHO 40SII + 60 Ha , 40 Ha + 60 Oiii, 100 Oiii , and then adjust sliders ( mainly reduce Green) and increase Blue slightly

Clear Skies
Martin
Startrek

Post by Startrek »

Mike in Rancho wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:14 pm Very good again, Martin. :thumbsup:

And nice framing as well. On this one, interestingly I am actually liking the middle rendition, which seems closer to a classic HOO coloring. It seems to be displaying the best variation of colors and blended shades so as to see the differing detail better. Though of course, it's possible your other mappings could do the same with a few adjustments to the bias sliders.

And while it's also possible that bicolor may be the best choice at times, it also seems to me that down there you are overrun with targets just begging for tricolor SHO. :D
Thanks Mike,
I’ve thought of a Triband filter but folk down here say the Sii signal through a OSC Bayer is quite weak ?
I’m definitely moving to Mono later this year so I will have bonafide narrowband artillery to battle anything that’s in the night sky at any time ( ZWO 2600MM with Antlia 3nm NB filters )
Still very happy with the current results from the 2600MC

Clear Skies
Martin
Mike in Rancho

Post by Mike in Rancho »

Well no matter then, as you already have the plan in place for mono. 3nm! Very tight.

Tribands and even "Quadbands" aren't really going to help with anything though, there's no way to separate the bundled emissions and so you still just get stuff on the red side, and stuff on the blue-green side, and that's all.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The balancing of the emissions is excellent in these images. A great use of color contrast to show relative emissions. :bow-yellow:
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Startrek

Post by Startrek »

admin wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:49 am The balancing of the emissions is excellent in these images. A great use of color contrast to show relative emissions. :bow-yellow:
Hi Ivo,
Thanks for the encouragement
Very happy with the final results using ST1.8 !!
Q: Did you see my previous post regarding HDR 1.7 and 1.8 comparisons in this section ( a few post back from this one )
I have some comparative images to share and review for comments
Clear Skies
Martin