Messier 3, from and old and new session

User images created with StarTools.
fmeireso

Messier 3, from and old and new session

Post by fmeireso »

Hi everyone

Messier 3. I took it last year on a full moon night, modest result. I did a session this year on a 37 % moon. I had a bit of a hard time to get one stack of the 2 sessions since my exposure times per sub were different. In my former version of WBPP i just had to adjust the tolerance time to include all of the subs. Strangely on WBPP 2.4.5 is just does not work like that anymore. With a little help from a CN member i finaly made 1 stack out 181 x 1 minut and 86 x 2 minuts subs...Took PI quite some time to stack them, 2 hours and 20 minuts, phew...

Anyhow here is a crop of the glob. It is a bit more cropped then the release on astrobin...
M3SuperCropped2.jpg
M3SuperCropped2.jpg (452.77 KiB) Viewed 1696 times
decay

Re: Messier 3, from and old and new session

Post by decay »

Hi Freddy, I like this version much more than the the glob you posted last year (?). There are really a lot of small weak stars in there :thumbsup:

You succeeded well with with postprocessing in StarTools. Background is a bit busy; sometimes difficult to say what is noise and what are stars. And we all know that colour saturation is a matter of taste ( :mrgreen: ) and I'm usually on the less saturated side too, but maybe you could try to dial in a slightly stronger differentiation between the blue and the red/orange stars? :think:

Best regards, Dietmar.
fmeireso

Post by fmeireso »

Ok , so i made another version.

For the love of God i really can't tell which one i find best. I used an even stronger deconvulation and putted more color in, as Dietmar proposed.
I might have overdone the deconvulation, but anyhow it shows how good it works or can work specialy on globs...

I dunno
M3Gimp3.jpg
M3Gimp3.jpg (387.92 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
decay

Post by decay »

:D I like this new version, Freddy, especially the orange stars are a real eye catcher.
Mike in Rancho

Post by Mike in Rancho »

Hey Freddy, nice. Lots of little stars, I like the colors.

For my taste maybe a bit noisy in the background and around stars, and could use some more deringing within the stars themselves. :think:
fmeireso

Post by fmeireso »

The background does not really trouble me but indeed there is a halo, sort of ringing in the bright stars. Don't know exactly what causes it and how to deal with it. This is not the only picutre in which it shows up.

But anyhow i am quite pleased with the outcome, can't help liking globs. I always did, also when i was a visual observer. In my 18' Obsession at the time they were just staggering...