Messier 100

User images created with StarTools.
fmeireso

Messier 100

Post by fmeireso »

Nice object but more difficult then i thought. 168 light frames, 149 flats and 53 bias stacked in PI in less then 38 minutes gave me eventually the result below. I am rather ok with it, but i messed up my big orange stars a bit. I had as mostly usual a gradient.

I took it in April, 2 evenenings only to found out it lacked integration time; So i shot yesterday another 2,5 hours and wanted still thesame for today but the weahter decided not to cooperate..high clouds will come in now any time...

Processed in ST 1.9.549
M100Gimp2.jpg
M100Gimp2.jpg (549.21 KiB) Viewed 1102 times
decay

Re: Messier 100

Post by decay »

Nice, Freddy :) It looks a bit like the version in Stellarium. And I like the tiny galaxies in the background. I always wanted to take a shot of the nearby Markarian's Chain, but I had no opportunity until now :(
fmeireso wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 8:33 pm Nice object but more difficult then i thought.
So you found it smaller and dimmer then thought? On Astrobin I saw you used your TS 130 mm APO, so at f/7 with 900 mm focal length. Focal length is similar to my 8" f/5 Newtonian (1000 mm), but at f/7 you probably need some more integration time ... Gradient does not matter that much in this case I suppose, because the object is small in relation to the whole field, so ST should have an easy job getting rid of the gradient ... ? And obviously you succeeded well :thumbsup:
fmeireso wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 8:33 pm but i messed up my big orange stars a bit
Yes, the larger stars seem to show some kind of ringing and other artefacts. Hmm ... :think: would be interesting to know, at which point of your processing workflow this happens. Or is it already in your stack? Did you use SVD? Did you use a synthetic model or samples?

Best regards, Dietmar.
fmeireso

Re: Messier 100

Post by fmeireso »

Thanks Dietmar,

I don't really know where the artifacts on the brighter stars got in. But i noticed after the color module there centers had a bit of a strange color, white to the core more orange the the outer edge. So touched them a bit up...

Maybe something with the stack indeed....from the start.