1st Light New 8” f5 Klaus Helmerich Carbon fibre Newtonian ( M20 Trifid Nebula )

User images created with StarTools.
Startrek

Re: 1st Light New 8” f5 Klaus Helmerich Carbon fibre Newtonian ( M20 Trifid Nebula )

Post by Startrek »

Stefan,
Thank you for the kind comments
Much appreciated
I had my camera on top and off to the side when I first started AP 6 years ago , then a member on our local forum suggested to move it underneath to improve both Ra and Dec balance. I changed the orientation nearly 3 years ago and have never looked back. My guiding has thanked me for it
In regards to Dualband filters on this nebula , I tried it with my L Extreme 18months ago and it was a disaster , the colours in the emission ( red) part were bright hot pink and the reflection ( blue ) part were emerald green and the dark nebula was swallowed up , hardly noticeable
In my experiences M20 is a bonafide broadband target best imaged during the new moon period
Some folk would disagree but I’m happy with my broadband images of it , they are a true colour representation of this object

Clear Skies
Martin
decay

Re: 1st Light New 8” f5 Klaus Helmerich Carbon fibre Newtonian ( M20 Trifid Nebula )

Post by decay »

Startrek wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:43 am a member on our local forum suggested to move it underneath to improve both Ra and Dec balance
Still thinking about your words. I never paid any attention to focuser orientation. What do you mean by "underneath"? Pointing towards the ground? Or towards the Ra axis? :confusion-shrug: :think:

Thanks, Dietmar.
Startrek

Post by Startrek »

decay wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 3:07 pm
Startrek wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:43 am a member on our local forum suggested to move it underneath to improve both Ra and Dec balance
Still thinking about your words. I never paid any attention to focuser orientation. What do you mean by "underneath"? Pointing towards the ground? Or towards the Ra axis? :confusion-shrug: :think:

Thanks, Dietmar.
Dietmar,
Photo attached of my new 8”f5 Klaus Helmerich Carbon Fibre Newtonian
You can see the camera is pointing towards the ground along the front leg of the tripod
The correct way to set up a mount is have the front leg pointing towards the celestial pole meridian line.ie: the tripod forms a triangle and one point of the triangle points towards the celestial pole and meridian line.
I’ve seen a lot of YouTube’s of folk in Europe and the US having their tripod sitting the opposite way ( 180 degrees ) Don’t know why ?? The pole is the pole whether Southern or Northern Hemisphere

Martin
Attachments
BD4236B2-4D7E-4AA6-88BE-55C8DB2157FE.jpeg
BD4236B2-4D7E-4AA6-88BE-55C8DB2157FE.jpeg (590.07 KiB) Viewed 1121 times
decay

Post by decay »

Thank you, Martin. Now I understand. I guess this means, that the weight of the camera is below the centre of mass and therefore stability is improved. :think: I will try that, but unfortunately I have to use the finder scope (my mount has no GOTO) to find the objects (well, to find the stars near to the objects as I cannot see most of the DSOs due to light pollution) and this means that the position of the finder scope has to be somehow reachable for me :lol:
Startrek wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 9:25 pm I’ve seen a lot of YouTube’s of folk in Europe and the US having their tripod sitting the opposite way ( 180 degrees ) Don’t know why ?? The pole is the pole whether Southern or Northern Hemisphere
Indeed, that's strange. And I think it is even not possible with my EQ5 as there is a notch between tripod and mount for azimuth adjustment. And one of the legs is even labeled with 'N' for 'north'. This mount was probably not meant for shipment to the southern hemisphere :lol: :doh:

BTW: your new self-made Newtonian looks great :) :thumbsup:

Best regards, Dietmar.
Stefan B

Post by Stefan B »

Thanks for your comments on the duo NB approach for M 20, Martin! Maybe I'll see how far I can get with broadband and add one hour or two hours duo NB data for NBaccent.

In
Startrek wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 9:25 pm The correct way to set up a mount is have the front leg pointing towards the celestial pole meridian line.ie: the tripod forms a triangle and one point of the triangle points towards the celestial pole and meridian line.
Same as for Dietmar: Doesn't work for my EQ6-R pro. The dowel as it's called in the manual (https://inter-static.skywatcher.com/dow ... neq6-r.pdf) determines how the mount is set up. Because of that I can't turn it 180°. But works anyway ;)

CS
Stefan
Startrek

Post by Startrek »

Stefan B wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 11:06 pm Thanks for your comments on the duo NB approach for M 20, Martin! Maybe I'll see how far I can get with broadband and add one hour or two hours duo NB data for NBaccent.

In
Startrek wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 9:25 pm The correct way to set up a mount is have the front leg pointing towards the celestial pole meridian line.ie: the tripod forms a triangle and one point of the triangle points towards the celestial pole and meridian line.
Same as for Dietmar: Doesn't work for my EQ6-R pro. The dowel as it's called in the manual (https://inter-static.skywatcher.com/dow ... neq6-r.pdf) determines how the mount is set up. Because of that I can't turn it 180°. But works anyway ;)

CS
Stefan
My EQ6-R pro mount has 2 threaded holes 180 degrees opposite each other on the tripod base
I just installed my dowel in the appropriate position to allow front leg to point to pole

Cheers
Martin