The Broomstick

User images created with StarTools.
fmeireso

The Broomstick

Post by fmeireso »

A new one. Taken in hazy and not dark skies, considering the time of year; Even the moon was present on two evenings...

Askar FRA 500 at F.5.6. One night color dslr about just less then 2 hours and just over 4 hours mono dslr with L-enhance. Picked up quite some noise yesterday it was just too hot, one of those rare clear nights without much temp drop.

I am rather pleased with it allthough it has room for improvement. Cygni 52 is a bti 'halowish' and the busy starfield is tough to handle.

Comment and thoughts are welcome
Attachments
NGC6960MorphGimpSTgimpEnd (Medium).jpg
NGC6960MorphGimpSTgimpEnd (Medium).jpg (342.75 KiB) Viewed 980 times
Mike in Rancho

Re: The Broomstick

Post by Mike in Rancho »

Hey Freddy, always a nice target. Good job.

You are right, the heat and maybe low (-ish) integration are resulting in some background mottling noise. Some processing might be able to clean that up and suppress it, possibly with less reveal of the fainter tendrils though of course.

52 Cyg can dominate unless you are mindful of it. Some things you could try, if you haven't already -

Make sure 52 Cyg is included in any OptiDev ROI you use.

Watch your use of IFD so that you don't go over to the other side and start brightening highlights up, unless you want to.

Check the bright slider in HDR and tame that down if it helps.

Customize the mask in Sharp if needed. I almost always have to go in and add brighter stars even with the extra sensitive automask, and undo some other things that maybe shouldn't have been masked. Make sure that 52 Cyg is "included" in the inverted mask. Once created, I'll often save the customized mask (as jpg so it's smaller file size) with a name that lets me know what bin I was working at, for later use so I don't have to do it again.

Otherwise, well it's a big bright star, so it should stand out. Adds character and realism to the image. :D
fmeireso

Re: The Broomstick

Post by fmeireso »

Thanks Mike for the comments.

Yes, it is kinda noisy in the background. My last capture evening was not a too big success, it was just too hot.
But tonight perhaps another chance to get some more data. It will be cooler and also darker since the streetlights will go out at midnight.

Yes i always make a manual mask for sharpening too, otherwise too much stars seems to be left out, they swell up..

just wonder if i should use an OIII filter tonight and forget about the L-enhance,just to see the result of that...

CS
Freddy