IC 5070 Pelican Nebula HOO (first light EQ6)

User images created with StarTools.
decay

Re: IC 5070 Pelican Nebula HOO (first light EQ6)

Post by decay »

dx_ron wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:41 pm I once had a similar off-axis diffraction spike from Phecda in an RC6 image of M109. Phecda is only ~38' away from M109, while Deneb is nearly 2° from the Pelican - but Deneb is over a full magnitude brighter. Anyway, it, too, drove me nuts searching through the stack for some super-bright satellite or airplane (I live quite near a general aviation airport), until I realized the culprit. Luckily mine was in basically black space so I could easily Heal it out of existence.
Yeah, meanwhile I'm almost convinced that Deneb is the source of this spike. Probably Mike used his Jedi force of persuasion on me. :think: ;) I also live near two international airports (well, hmm yes sort of), but that's usually no problem as the outlier rejection does its job quite fine while stacking. I don't care about that spike, I just wanted to understand what's the cause of this. Thank you, Ron.
decay

Re: IC 5070 Pelican Nebula HOO (first light EQ6)

Post by decay »

dx_ron wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:45 pm Have you encountered any issues caused by being several updates behind? I used astroberry until I switched to the 571c camera and the rPi could not keep up with the larger image files. But that also happened to coincide with Ekos moving to 64-bit and the cessation of updates for astroberry. I hear Radek is planning to finally produce a 64-bit astroberry at some point.

There are some *really* nice new features in the Focus module that you're missing out on, for certain.
Hi Ron, KStars running on my Astroberry Pi has version 3.6.0 (latest is 3.6.6). At first I encountered some crashes, but I read that sometimes the FITS-viewer causes problems and so I disabled it (anyway, I switched to native CR2 format for my EOS, so I don't need it any more). And I disabled notification sounds as recommended. There have been no more crashes since then. Yeah, I read about the upcoming 64bit version. And I will probably soon set up the Pi with new software without using that Astroberry image, but this was the quickest way for me to get started. KStars/EKOS runs quite well and I like it. The only downside is that the UI is not very well designed for use on small displays. When I set up my rig, I'm outside with my notebook which only has a 15" display. It's difficult to work with EKOS on that small screen - you have to scroll all the time.

Thanks for pointing out the new features in the Focus module!

Best regards, Dietmar.