A Quick M17 Swan ( Omega ) Nebula

User images created with StarTools.
Startrek

A Quick M17 Swan ( Omega ) Nebula

Post by Startrek »

I’ve spent just over 2 weeks away down south at my Dome and managed only 2 clear half nights. The weather has been ridiculous, 35 degrees one day , 19 degrees the next , mostly cloudy and windy with showers for the next 5 days
Captured a quick M17 Swan Nebula descending in the west on both nights under a full moon ( Chose M17 as it fits perfectly in my FOV )

Bortle 3 skies
Full Moon
2 half nights
10” f5 Klaus Helmerich Carbon newt
SW EQ8-R pro mount
ZWO2600MM cooled to -10C , Gain 100
Antlia 3nm NB filters
EQMOD and Stellarium
APT
PHD2 Multistar guiding ( Ra guiding was awful at 0.70 to 0.80 , more than double the value of Dec , smaller stars a tad oval ) I need to polar align again , haven’t checked PA for over a year.
Orion 60mm guide scope with helical focuser
ZWO 290MM guide camera
Stacked in ASTAP
Processed in Startools v1.8 Compose
28 x 3min Ha
15 x 3min Oiii
15 x 3min Sii
Flats and Bias

Pretty happy with the low level of gradients under a full moon using relatively short integration time.

This 2600MM camera is nuts under Bortle 3 skies using the Antlia 3nm filters even with a full moon blasting my Dome. The Ha filter certainly gives you a surprise when the subs roll in ( Shame about the weather )

I’m using ASTAP now for stacking which IMO provides a better cleaner result than DSS with the last 3 objects I’ve captured with the 2600MM.

The Mono 2600MM camera and dedicated filters is a lot of work in capturing and processing but definitely better fidelity than my 2600MC.

Early days yet but enjoying the journey with Mono and yes RGB stars should be the norm but still learning.

Astrobin link below for full resolution…..

https://www.astrobin.com/n0fekh/

Synthetic Luminance version
SHO version

Thanks for looking

Martin
Attachments
M17 Swan Nebula SHO rev 3.jpeg
M17 Swan Nebula SHO rev 3.jpeg (363.91 KiB) Viewed 13440 times
M17 Swan Nebula Synthetic Luminance rev 3.jpeg
M17 Swan Nebula Synthetic Luminance rev 3.jpeg (320.13 KiB) Viewed 13440 times
fmeireso

Re: A Quick M17 Swan ( Omega ) Nebula

Post by fmeireso »

A really nice image.
I hope to be able to do stuff like that too soon. Taking mono with 3 filters. It looks however starcolor is again an issue. Guess the only way to tackle that is to layer stars in from a color image?
But then i really will have much clear nights...
Startrek

Post by Startrek »

fmeireso wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:23 am A really nice image.
I hope to be able to do stuff like that too soon. Taking mono with 3 filters. It looks however starcolor is again an issue. Guess the only way to tackle that is to layer stars in from a color image?
But then i really will have much clear nights...
Thanks
Appreciate the compliment
Make sure your ready for Mono
After 3 years using a Canon 600D DSLR and 3 years using a OSC ZWO2600MC , I usually completed 1 and sometimes 2 objects per night.The 4 objects I’ve captured so far with my 2600MM have been multiple night’s capture each and relatively short integration time too.
Mono requires plenty of clear nights to capture your data and complete a project.
However it’s definitely worth the Mono journey
Cheers
Martin
fmeireso

Post by fmeireso »

Yes, i am fully aware of that.
But i have been taking pictures over 2 years now with a mono DLSR, most mixing Ha narrowband with normal DLSR color stack which cuts down allready the number of clear nights needed.
Recently i acquired an color astro cam but decided i will get the mono versie too....then i will have plenty of possibilities....another boost to the hobby i think, alltough not a very unexpensive one...