Stefan B

Re: Soul Nebula

Post by Stefan B »

Hi Carles,

thanks for giving it a try!

Here's your and my rendition:
Soulanimation.gif
Soulanimation.gif (566.7 KiB) Viewed 16400 times
In my eyes there's not a big difference in terms of overall nebulosity. Maybe the faint parts very near to the upper edge of the image are a bit brighter in your rendition but that could easily accomplished in NBAccent by adjusting gamma in NBAccent. There's a bit less nebulosity in the center of the right part of the nebula in your version but that's probably since you've used defaults in Contrast (I also noticed that and throttled it down). Maybe you got the "mountains" at the bottom of the image better but in my eyes the Ha regions around IC1871 appear rather flat. So overall I think both versions are fair renditions of the target with pros and cons. By the way I don't think my rendition took much longer than 40 min.

What I was surprised actually was that the regions around IC1871 weren't sharper and more detailed in my data. They lack depth. I thought that 13 hours duo NB with my setup would result in a better data. With overall nebulosity I am basically fine.

For my image I had something in mind like this: https://www.astrobin.com/q8z08l/C/ It's crazy that the linked image doesn't even contain 4 hrs and it's better than mine with its 19 hrs but overall I am pretty happy with my version :)

Regards
Stefan
Stefan B

Post by Stefan B »

Hi Mike!
Mike in Rancho wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:58 pm Stefan I think that looks appropriate, other than maybe a green tint to a couple of the yellow stars? :think:
Yeah, that's an effect of NBAccent on the stars which I forgot to undo by layering ... :oops: And since I am a lazy guy ... :oops: :oops:
Mike in Rancho wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:58 pm The star field in general looks great to me though. Such beautiful coloring.
Thanks, I really enjoy reading that since that was one of my main goals. Though the slightly cloudy conditions made the stars look a bit bloated.
Mike in Rancho wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:58 pm They are faint, not bad in Ha, but poor or overlapping in other emissions. The ST philosophy of relative emissions thus often makes for unappealing images because so much Ha throttling is often needed. The result tends to be weak Ha, weak Oiii, and a whole lot of blueish-gray fog. :(
Agreed. Before I had the broadband data I fiddled around with the duo NB. Didn't make for a nice image. It was okay in H(HO)O.

Regards
Stefan
Carles

Post by Carles »

@Stefan B
I think the issue here is 1- Contrast 2 - wipe. Wipe is too agressive for narrowband as it applies same values as broadband when loaded on Compose as NBaccent.
What I did yesterday was playing around (while was working from home xD so, took longer than usual) just with channels and so on because i expect more nebulosity from that target with so many hours...
So I had to try regular NBaccent workflow with low agg on wipe and got similar results as that astrobin link
saturation.jpg
saturation.jpg (246.59 KiB) Viewed 16397 times
This is simply
Compose --- Autodev ----Color ---NBaccent ---Superstructure(isolate 40%)---Superstructure (saturation )
you cana work it up more with Decon, sharp and all that...and I used bin 50% to speed it up.

Now another problem comes when wanting to use H-alpha as Luminance layer for details in Layer module and "colour of Fg" @admin why does the colour actually change? shouldn't it be the same as Foreground?

Regards

Carles
Attachments
luminance.jpg
luminance.jpg (487.15 KiB) Viewed 16397 times
Carles

Post by Carles »

Round 2 nbaccent.jpg
Round 2 nbaccent.jpg (428.88 KiB) Viewed 16394 times
Stefan B

Post by Stefan B »

Hi Carles,
Carles wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:35 am So I had to try regular NBaccent workflow with low agg on wipe and got similar results as that astrobin link

saturation.jpg
I like that rendition. I had a similar result with saturation on 200% like in your case. I throttled it down a bit. I try to tame my images and myself in that regard in order to not lose contrast. But still more saturation is absolutely fine.
Carles wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:17 am Round 2 nbaccent.jpg
That actually looks overstretched to me ;)

Regards
Stefan
Carles

Post by Carles »

Hi Stefan,

No it isn't over stretched, after all this is almost 19h of data..., it simply has less aggressive use of contrast and I think that's one of the issues on why the inner part nebula gets lost. The use of Contrast module can darken too much some areas

And yeah, over saturation hides details

Carles